Pages

Saturday 21 August 2021

Reinforcements for my Army Black

I have finally managed to base my recently painted FUNNY LITTLE WARS/PORTABLE WARGAME ARMY BLACK cavalry and mounted officers, and they have now been added to my collection, along with a couple of units each of train and engineers.

I now need to add some artillery units ... and then my ARMY BLACK will be complete, and I can move on to my next little army ... which will be built around a number of 15mm Minifig American Civil War figures that I painted in 1985, and which remain unused.


Like the bulk of the figures that make up my ARMY BLACK, these American Civil War figures were painted during my recovery from a stress-related mental breakdown. I found that the process of painting helped me ... but when I was better, I could not bring myself to use the figures. They were put into storage and have stayed there ever since.

Only now, some thirty-six years later, do I feel comfortable putting them to good use and can finally put that unfortunate episode behind me.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      It has taken me much longer than I expected (both to feel better and to use these figures!), but I would prefer to take time and get it right rather than do a rush job. After all, the most of the figures have been patiently waiting for thirty-six years to be based and used; a few more days isn't going to hurt them!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi BOB,
    Great work there on your FLW Project - I'm definitely looking forward to further developments. Strange isn't it that we go back to older projects to enjoy things better now that we're older- I think age gives us a special way of seeing those things in the past that meant something special. Stay safe and well there in London. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I hope to start work on Army Black‘s artillery either today or tomorrow, in the hope that they will be finished by the end of August.

      Psychologically, I feel like I am drawing a line under a still very painful memory. I think that this has only become possible because I have reached an age when I can look back and realise that my past is well and truly behind me, and that looking forward is better than looking backwards … most of the time!

      Stay safe and stay well,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Nicely done. I've always found painting to be relaxing and therapeutic, with the added bonus of having something to show for it when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Corcone,

      I still find painting therapeutic as it takes my mind off things that might otherwise give me cause for concern.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Turned out nice again Bob. I look forward to seeing them in action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      They look even better now that they have been based. Hopefully they will see some action in the not too distant future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.