Pages

Thursday 3 February 2022

The Stalbanian-Khakistan War: The final battle

The Khakistanis – who deployed four infantry units, a cavalry unit, and an artillery unit – occupied a position that had a hill on their right flank, and the Stalbanians – whose force comprised three infantry units, an artillery unit, a machinegun unit, and supply unit – advanced towards them.

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

Battle Turn 1

Both sides threw a D6 die to see how many units they could activate this turn. The Stalbanians – who were the attackers during the first turn – threw 5 and the Khakistanis threw 3.

The Stalbanian artillery fired at the Khakistani infantry on the hill, hitting them and causing them to lose 1 SP.

The Stalbanian machine gun unit fired at the Khakistani cavalry unit, hitting them once and causing the loss of 1 SP.

The Stalbanian infantry in the centre advanced and engaged the Khakistani artillery in Close Combat, but this was inconclusive.

The Stalbanian supply unit moved from its original position into the centre, thus insuring the this column was protected from potential Khakistani threats.

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

In response, the Khakistani cavalry charged the Stalbanian machine gun unit, and inflicted the loss of 1 SP on it.

The Khakistani infantry on their left flank advanced at attacked the Stalbanian infantry in the flank, but this attack inflicted no casualties.

The leading Khakistani infantry on their right flank advanced and attacked the Stalbanian artillery in Close Combat, causing it to withdraw ... but at the cost of losing 1 SP. As this unit had alreay suffered the loss of 1 SP, it was destroyed.

In the centre, the Close Combat between the Khakistani artillery and the Stalbanian infantry continued, and both sides lost 1 SP. As the Khakistani General was with the Khakistani artillery unit, there was a chance that he would be killed ... but he survived uninjured!

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

Battle Turn 2

Both sides threw a D6 die to see how many units they could activate this turn. The Stalbanians threw 4 and the Khakistanis threw 2.

The Stalbanians brought their artillery unit back onto the battlefield into the centre column. Because it had moved, it could not fire this turn.

The Stalbanian infantry unit on their left flank advanced and attacked the Khakistani infantry unit on the hill, and during the fighting both sides lost 1 SP.

The Stalbanian General moved over to support the newly-returned artillery unit, and the supply unit retraced its steps and returned to the right flank.

On the Stalbanian right flank, the fighting between the Stalbanian machine gun unit and the Khakistani cavalry continued. Both sides inflicted further loses on the other, and both units were destroyed.

In the centre, the continued Close Combat between the Stalbanian infantry and the Khakistani artillery continued but was inconclusive.

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

The Khakistani infantry on the hill continued to fight the Stalbanian infantry. Unfortunately the Stalbanians prevailed and inflicted a further loss of 1 SP on the Khakistani unit, which was destroyed.

The Stalbanians followed up their victory, and had reached the Khakistani baseline. Unless they could intervene, the battle was lost.

Unfortunately, the fighting in the centre prevented this, especially after the destruction of the Khakistani artillery which was in Close Combat with the Stalbanian infantry (it lost a further 1 SP and was destroyed) and the death of the Khakistani General who was accompanying the artillery.

Please click on the image to enlarge it.

At this point the remaining Khakistani infantry withdrew, leaving the victorious Stalbanians in command of the battlefield.

As a result of this victory the Stalbanians had won this short but bloody war and secured their independence. During the fighting they lost a total of 13 SPs whilst the Khakistanis had lost 18 SPs.


Lessons learned

  1. The 3 x 3 concepts works and although it is by no means perfect, it makes it possible to fight a short campaign involving several battles in a matter of hours. (It took me far longer to make notes, take the photographs, and write up my battle report than it did to fight the battles.)
  2. The Snakes & Ladders Campaign System is ideal for this sort of mini-campaign and produces unpredictable results. I am sure that if I was to refight this campaign again, the number of battles fought and the side that initiated each battle would be different.
  3. The battles are much more satisfactory if there are six units plus a General per side.
  4. The possibility of having Shooting Combat between opposing units in adjacent grid areas and Close Combat between opposing units in the same grid area needs to be looked at.

Am I going to persist in developing the fast play 3 x 3 PORTABLE WARGAME (or FP3x3PW to give it its abbreviated name)?

To right I am! I can see lots of potential in this concept, and as I am at a point in my life when the space and time I have available to wargame is limited, the fact that I have fought three battles in a matter of days without having to clear a space on my worktable is a big, big plus in my book.

20 comments:

  1. Hooray for the Stalbanians!! I must admit I was getting worried that they might lose the war after the two previous battles, but they pulled it off in the end!
    If you want to add any flags to your forces then remember the colours are blue and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      I must admit that I expected that the Khakistanis were going to win, but they had an appalling run of bad dice rolls which left them reeling.

      I plan to design flag for my imagi-nations, and the Stalbanian one will be based on that of St Albans.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. The 3x3 game in the context of a campaign is a fascinating idea and probably lends itself to any period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctorphalanx,

      Your are quite right, judging by the fact that players are using the 3 x 3 rules to fight campaigns set from the Medieval to the late 19th Century eras … and I understand there may well be a WW2 mini-campaign on the horizon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. The Snakes and Ladders concept produces a great mini-campaign and clearly works well with the FP3x3PW - excellent for spatially-challenged people like myself. These have been a very enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      The system needs a few minor tweaks, but it was by far the easiest campaign I’ve ever run as the record keeping was nonexistent. Give it a try; I’m sure that you’ll enjoy it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bob, Although ideal for a very small, quick game, I would not limit FPPW to a 3x3 format but allow players freedom to expand the width (as opposed to the depth between opposing armies which would remain the same) to permit flanking or encircling manoeuvres. Some historical battles would require extra squares to portray significant locations to an army's flank/rear like Plancenoit or outlying strongpoints like Hougoumont.

    I think the FPPW concept has great potential and, just like the original PW, offers players all sorts of opportunities to adapt the basic system to suit themselves. For example, a major Napoleonic battle could be fought as several separate FPPW games simultaneously, each game portraying the actions of one corps.
    Best wishes, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      I agree that being able to mount flanking attacks would be useful, but I’d like to experiment with the layout of the grid areas as well to see just how wide the optimum FPPW needs to be before it morphs into being just another variant of the original PW rules. I think that looking at the impact of having playing surface that is 5 grid areas wide would be my first step.

      Breaking down big battles into smaller vignettes has distinct possibilities, turning the events of a battle into a sort of one-day mini-campaign.

      Lots to think about …

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Hi Bob -
      The 5-wide surface area has also crossed my mind - though I think I's prefer it to be 4 deep (possibly 5) as well. With such a field, though, we might have to think about movement - or possibly combat only - across
      to adjacent sectors. Of course, one of the reasons I have is that I have quite a lot of Byzantines. Even my Pechenegs - just 30 figures - feel a little underemployed using the FP3x3PW system. On the other hand, can can ... ALMOST ... field a Norman 'army'...
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete
    3. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I can foresee the development of a FP5x5PW version of the concept, with 8 or 9 unit armies! By going from 3 x 3 to 5 x 5 you are giving players 2.77 times more room to manoeuvre in.

      It’s a development that I think we might look at over the next few weeks.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. A great campaign! I have added rules to address flank marches, ambushes, stragglers and reinforcements in the form of a scenario generator on the Portable Wargames Facebook page. I am very interested in input on how these work for other players. Now I need to ponder a way to incorporate them into a snakes and ladders campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I hope to spend sometime looking at your suggestions in detail, once I have recovered from the effects of having a pneumonia vaccination this morning. (It’s left me feeling very tired and with aching joints in the arm that I was injected in.)

      The Snakes & Ladders Campaign system is a great tool, and once you’ve tried it out, I’m sure that you’ll come up with lots of ideas for how to use it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Mark Cordone,

      I hope that a good night’s sleep will help. I’m told that the side effects might last up to three days … but it’s a once in a lifetime vaccination, so I can live with it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Most interesting Bob . I imagine you playing “The Final Countdown “ as dramatic accompanying music. Hope you feel better from the jab soon…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      Cheers! It was a very interesting experience to fight a mini-campaign with three battles in what was over - if you ignore the time spent taking photographs, creating the maps, and writing it up - in well under two hours of actual game time ... and that included setting up and taking down the terrain and getting the figures in and out of their boxes.

      As to the jab ... well I feel better after than I did but my wife is still suffering the side effects.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Bob -
    You know: I didn't know anti-pneumonia vaccines were a thing. Having had pneumonia (about 18 months back) the idea appeals!

    I am wondering if the 'snakes and ladders system would 'work' for 6 to 8 armies... In my recent mini-campaign I just thought up what might happen next in a series of events. But the S&L system does add I think something to a narrative.

    So... I think just onew more 'playtest' mini-campaign might be in order before developing the main one. The latter now has a title : "The Byzantiad". I'm working on an 'illuminated' map...

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I don’t know how recently it became available, but both my wife and I were contacted by the NHS to encourage us to have the pneumonia jab.

      I can see no reason why it would not be possible to have more than one army per side on the Snakes & Ladders Campaign map.

      I like the sound of your ‘The Byzantiad’ mini-campaign, and having seen you recent illustrations, I’m looking forward to seeing your illuminated map.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.