Pages

Thursday 10 February 2022

Trench assault: An ideal setup for a Fast Play 3 x 3 Portable Wargame?

After I had written the recent blog post about Nick Huband's excellent 15mm World War One PORTABLE WARGAME army, he sent me a tidied up version of his sketch map of a FP3x3PW trench system.

As soon as I saw Nick's sketch, I was reminded of a map of the Battle of Ayala I saw year's ago in Robert J Icks' FAMOUS TANK BATTLES: FROM WORLD WAR I TO VIETNAM.

The battle was fought during the Chaco War and was the largest set piece battle of the war. The Bolivians attacked the Paraguayan-held trenches around Ayala from two main directions in order the straighten out the salient to the west of Ayala, around Nanawa. The two 'wings' of the attack were conducted by three infantry battalions (each with 450 rifles and 20 machine guns) supported by a dismounted cavalry regiment equipped with flamethrowers, two 65mm mountain guns, and two Stokes mortars. In addition, the right wing had two Vickers 6-ton tanks and the left wing had a 6-ton tank and two Carden Lloyd tankettes. In reserve were three additional infantry regiments (each of two battalions) on the right, one in the centre, and two on the left.

The battle began with a Bolivian 'massed' fifteen-minute-long artillery barrage by twenty-five field guns and twelve howitzers (the largest artillery barrage ever seen in South America up to that date!) and the explosion of a mine on the left wing. Unfortunately the mine tunnel was too short, and when it exploded its effect on the Paraguayan defences was minimal.

The battle was conducted in temperatures of up to 95˚F, the tank crews kept having to be replaced due to fatigue and heat exhaustion, and weapons jammed and rounds 'cooked off' due to the heat. The attack drove in the Paraguayan defenders, but never broke through the trench line, and in the end the Bolivians called off their attack after suffering horrendous casualties.

This battle looks like an ideal candidate for a FP3x3PW battle ... and I know someone who already has the figures to do it!


FAMOUS TANK BATTLES: FROM WORLD WAR I TO VIETNAM by Robert J Icks, Colonel (AUS Ret.) was published in 1972 by Profile Publications Limited (ISBN 0 85383 280 3).

10 comments:

  1. Hi Bob

    So pleased to see how well your Portable Wargame project is coming along. It seems to have taken on a life of its own, and is being developed by so many different players.

    Its also nice to see how well it seems to work with different periods, even niche ones like WW1 trench warfare!

    You much be very pleased to see it so well received and so much appreciated from such a wide range of wargamers

    Well done!

    regards

    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan Leniston (Paul),

      What started out as an experiment some years ago has blossomed into something that seems to appeal to a number of wargamers, especially those whose time, space, and/or finances are limited. The most recent developments have very much been a ‘community’ effort, with people’s ideas sparking off one another at a speed that I find astounding.

      I am pleased that the whole PW concept has become so popular, and that I managed to start something that has gained a momentum all of its own.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob,

    I remember several years ago, you wrote an article on gaming the war for Miniature Wargames magazine. I've been interested in the war after finding a book about the war in a university library. Off and On, I've thought about gaming the war but never got around to gathering and painting figures. Irregular Miniatures released a range for the war several years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      That was in one of the first issues of MW!

      Over the years I’ve acquired a number of books about the Chaco War, and I’ve always thought of it being an ideal wargamer’s war because the fighting took place in an almost uninhabited area. The forces involved were relatively small but they were both equipped with modern weaponry.

      It’s certainly a small project that is worth pursuing.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Been enjoying the write ups you have been doing on the 3x3 games you have been playing. Do you know of any way of to get / buy a copy the rules without being on Facebook?
    I'm not a Facebook user any more and never want to go back on there TBH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andyroo,

      Do you have objections to joining io.groups? If not, then I can add a copy of the rules to the files section there. The PW io.group can be found here = https://groups.io/g/PortableWargame .

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Bob, when you talk to that person with the Chaco War armies be sure to encourage yourself to try is 3x3. I've been trying to work out battles with trenches and or forts but keep coming up empty. I think 3x3 is a good option for Chaco War battles, maybe I just need to fake it and build,a trench system and give it ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Taber,

      I am certainly thinking about doing something along those lines but I have a couple of projects that I want to get finished first before taking on a new one.

      I suspect that the adoption of the 3 x 3 tabletop battlefields will encourage wargamers to make several specific terrain boards (e.g. a trench system) that can be stored easily and reused whenever required.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. TBH I'm grouped out and actively dropping a down to just a couple or so. I'll ask there if anyone will get a copy for me if it does not breach copyright. Thanks for the kind offer though much appreciated and nothing personal (well it is but me not you if you understand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andyroo,

      If you email me directly, I should be able to send you copies of any of the rules that I have written.

      I know what you mean about things like Facebook. They can easily draw you in and end up taking up lots of your time and efforts ... to little avail.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.