Pages

Wednesday 9 February 2022

A much-appreciated birthday present

As some of my regular blog readers will know, it was my birthday last Monday, and one of the presents I got was a copy of BISMARCK SOLITAIRE by Mike Wylie, Sean Cooke, and Grant Wylie III. The book was given to me by my old friend and fellow member of Wargame Developments, Tony Hawkins.

The book contains a solo wargame. In fact, there are eight separate 'missions' a player can undertake, along with a training 'mission' so that they can learn how the rules work. As the following example shows, other than a couple of D6 dice and a pencil, everything you need to play the game is in the book.

I am currently about to try out the training 'mission', and after that I hope to undertake each of the eight 'missions' as and when time permits. I might even keep this book as something to take on a future cruise with me, especially if our course takes us out into the Atlantic.

Thanks again Tony for a wonderful present!


BISMARCK SOLITAIRE was written by Mike Wylie, Sean Cooke, and Grant Wylie III, and published in 2021 by Worthington Publishing (ISBN 979 87565 4806 8).


Please note that the images featured above are © Worthington Publishing and are included solely for the purposes of this review.

20 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    First of all a belated happy birthday! The present looks really interesting and there is also a Waterloo version and, I believe, one for the battle of Midway. I will be keen to hear your thoughts about this once you have given it a spin.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Cheer! I had a busy but enjoyable birthday.

      I have yet to try the training ‘mission’ as I want to set aside an hour or two to get to grips with how the system works.

      I thought that there might be other books in the series, but was not sure. I may well look at them once I’ve completed the scenarios in this book.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Jim Duncan,

      I’ll be interested to see a copy.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    3. I recently obtained a copy of the Waterloo version, yet tovtry it. Have done about 4 missions on Bismark

      Delete
    4. Stewart,

      It sounds as if playing the BISMARCK game convinced you to buy the WATERLOO one. That is a very encouraging sign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Waterloo version

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8T3KhGqyZU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi BOB,
    Happy Birthday there my friend. You are the same age as my Partner- though Chris will be 73 this coming September. Stay well and safe there in London. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! Funnily enough, I don’t feel my age … except at about 3.00am when I feel the need to get out of bed and go to the loo!

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob,

    this title is on my buy list. I solo board wargame meant for solo play more than miniatures though I've been soloing a trench assault using the Great War Spearhead rules to learn them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott,

      I do most of my wargaming solo, and I’m always on the lookout for new solo wargames. Good luck with getting to grips with the Great War Spearhead rules.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Please let us know how this plays. I have on my list to check out, but currently fairly low on my list, but with a good review I could see bumping this up.
    And a belated Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike Taber,

      I'll certainly try to write a review when I have had a chance to play it. If I find that it suits my style of wargaming, I may well move on to the WATERLOO book.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Bob, thanks for posting this. I was intrigued and looked it up to get a feel for it. Then I saw they have a Waterloo version, and since I am in a "Napoleonic" of mind I treated myself to a copy of it. Will receive in a few days. But Bismarck looks interesting too. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalethewargamer,

      I hope to play the training mission over the weekend. When I do, I’ll write a blog post about it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Enjoy
    I got and can recommend the Waterloo game too
    Have fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      Cheers! I hope to try out the BISMARCK game later today … assuming that my wife doesn’t find me something to do!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.