Pages

Sunday 6 February 2022

Revitalised and astounded by the Fast Play 3 x 3 Portable Wargame

Looking back over recent weeks, I have just realised that in the space of twelve days I have fought five wargames ... which is probably more wargames than I took part in during the second half of 2021!

My wargaming had rather stuttered to a halt in the latter half of last year, and my motivation was almost non-existent by the beginning of this year. This is one reason why I took a longish break from wargaming and blogging in the period after Christmas, in the hope that the cruise we went on would recharge my batteries and revitalise my interest.

To a certain extent, it did, but what really revitalised me was Mark Cordone's Fast Play 3 x 3 PORTABLE WARGAME concept. In fact, it is only twenty (20!) days since he first mentioned it on the PORTABLE WARGAME Facebook Page ... and since then quite a few variants of the rules have appeared and been used. As I wrote in an earlier blog post, it has become a bit of a phenomenon.

The reaction to the concept has been interesting. Some of the wargamers who are experimenting with it are looking at it as a means by which they can fight campaigns in a relatively short time, whilst others are hoping that they can use it to wargame when away from home or when time and space are limited. Others are experimenting with it to see if they can refight larger battles in smaller, more manageable 'chunks', which would give then the sort of tactical feel that they want from their tabletop battles but within a larger, higher level game.

Whatever their motivation, the sheer volume of blog and Facebook posts devoted to FP3x3PW seems to be growing, and thanks to emails and the Internet, the exchange of ideas, rules, and battle report has been greater than I have ever seen before in wargaming. FP3x3PW might not appeal to everyone, but those wargamers who have embraced it do seem to be enjoying the experience.

22 comments:

  1. I have been watching the progress of PW 3x3 with considerable interest. My own thoughts are that it suits a development of the quick death option although so far I haven't had the time to work on it.
    The potential for a 3x3 multi period rulebook is obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barry Carter,

      I’d like to see how much of a difference using the ‘Sudden Death’ option would make. I suspect that it could easily end a battle in one turn … which might seem a bit unfair on the losing side.

      As to a FP3x3PW book … well, that’s certainly an idea I’m looking at …

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to the next book as well.

      Delete
    3. Mark Cordone,

      I’m looking forward to writing it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. Bob Cordery:
      I envisage the sudden death option to include some sort of recoil, repulse, rout system and multi base units which should comfortably fit within, say, a 4" square.
      Abolishing the need for record keeping seems to fit well with the 3x3 concept.

      Delete
    5. Barry Carter,

      That makes a lot of sense.

      I tend to use clear plastic Roman blind rings to mark casualties so that I don’t need to write losses down … except when writing a blog post!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. A game that can be set up, played and recorded in 30 minutes and takes up very little space is going to be a winner with many people. It's great to see how many have given it a go. Hats off to Mark for his adaptation of the PW. I'm keen to see where it goes now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I too am following all of the developments with interest.

      Delete
    2. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I totally agree with all the points you make … particularly regarding Mark and his excellent initial concept.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    3. Mark Cordone,

      The praise is well deserved!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. For a lot of people the turn off for traditional wargaming is the time, expense and complexity of the rules. A large investment in all three is required to get into the hobby. I'm hoping that the fast play variants can will be used to bring new people into the hobby, especially kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I think your analysis is pretty true … and if FP3x3PW can encourage potential wargamers to try the hobby, all the better!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Mark,

      I'm thinking that too, since I try to run games for kids and often on short notice. Fast Play games are preferable in my situation!

      Delete
    3. Jennifer,

      All power to you! I used to run a wargames club in the school where I worked … and at least one of the members is still a wargamer.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I haven't been able to play a game yet but another aspect of this is the number of miniatures needed. I figure about 18 per side, which may be high. When you see a figure line you like but don't want to paint up another 100-300 figures you can buy 3 dozen and be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan Foley,

      You are absolutely right, Even if you want to add the odd extra type of unit to your army to give you a bit of variety, you are certainly not going to need more than 20 to 25 figures per side. It’s a very economic style of wargaming!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. That's something I had in mind as well. You can experiment with different periods and scales and have complete armies without breaking the bank, and actually get them all painted too.

      Delete
    3. Mark Cordone,

      If you go down the soft plastic figure route, you can create armies for very little money. Small, affordable armies was one of the selling points for DBA/HOTT … but FP3x3PW is cheaper!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. And a better game. And I love my 1/72 scale figures. It goes back to when I was a kid and I used to save my allowance to by Airfix figures.

      Delete
    5. Mark Cordone,

      Thank you for that kind remark about it being a better game. It is much appreciated.

      The good old 20mm/1:72nd-scale Airfix figures! They are what I started with when I created my first proper wargames army ... for the ACW! My other armies were WW2, with mainly Airfix figures and ROCO tanks to start with, augmented with Airfix vehicles as the latter became available.

      It is still my favourite scale, but sadly to say I don't have many in my collection.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    6. As for me, other people may have lead mountains, I have a plastic one! We are currently in a golden age for 1/72 plastic figures. There are many many high quality sets for a very wide range of periods and I am continually tempted by all of them.

      Delete
    7. Mark Cordone,

      A quick look at the PLASTIC SOLDIER REVIEW website shows just how wide a range of figures is currently available.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.