Pages

Sunday 19 June 2022

Vanishing varnish?

Thanks to the suggestions made by a number of my regular blog readers, I have managed to acquire several tinkets of Humbrol’s No.35 gloss polyurethane varnish … so I can continue work on my Belle Époque project.

The fact that l have had so much trouble finding supplies of this varnish at what I consider to be a reasonable price (one online retailer has a 14ml tin let on sale for £9.57!) – and the fact that the Airfix online shop and several other retailers have stated that this item is currently out of stock – would seem to indicate that supplies of this varnish are currently limited.

I have heard several reasons why this situation has arisen, including COVID, BREXIT, the war in Ukraine, and rising oil prices. However, Brian Cameron – who I have known for many years – has informed me that Humbrol have recently issued the following statement:

The CLP (Classification, Labelling & Packaging) Regulation regularly assesses and occasionally reclassifies chemicals. “Meko”, a popular anti-skinning agent, extensively used in the paint industry has been reclassified under CLP. The change in classification resulted in the substance being phased out for supply to the consumer in Europe. The affected paint cannot now be sold to the general public under the REACH Regulation. There is no requirement to recall product from the end-user. Humbrol enamels are being reformulated, but no timescale is currently available

That makes perfect sense … and explains the reason for the shortage.

12 comments:

  1. Why not just buy some standard polyurethane gloss varnish from the likes of Ronseal? You'd get 250ml for less than a tenner. I use the interior quick drying clear gloss varnish to reduce the smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trebian,

      The answer is very simple … habit!

      I could easily buy Ronseal from several local shops, but I’ve got into the ‘habit’ of buying Humbrol products. If the shortage does continue, then I will have to break my ‘habit’ and buy another company’s product.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. It's a matter of cost and quality to me. The Ronseal product is cheaper and better quality. Add availability to the mix and it seems almost a non-brainer. Plus the purchase can be claimed as part of house maintenance/DIY budget.

      Delete
    3. Trebian,

      You are probably right … but I’ve been using Humbrol paints for so long, it has become my ‘go to’ brand. I should look elsewhere, especially if supplies are going to be very limited.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Interesting but at least we have an answer. I wonder what other colours this will affect, maybe the whole range. Glad I have a good stock. I agree about "habit" !!!! I too have always used Humbrol and find it very hard to change after so many years. Perhaps one day change will be forced on to us ....Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Adams,

      I suspect that this change will affect all Humbrol’s enamel paints. I tend to use their acrylics for most of my painting, but use an enamel undercoat as well as a gloss varnish topcoat.

      I think that once we find a painting technique we are happy with, we tend to use it and the paint that works best with it. I know people who always use Tamiya paint, but I tried them a couple of times and it didn’t suit my painting technique. I’ll change if I have to, but it will be with great reluctance.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. BOB,
    I like using a Pressure Pack Spray for lacquering Armies- I do the figures on bases with flock - line all the bases up and spray across the front then the back in one pass - then repeat. Hope this may help. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      My problem with spraying paint or varnish is a lack,of somewhere to do it safely. We don’t have a garage or garden shed, so I’d have to do it outside on the patio … which means that I can only do it during good weather.

      All the best,

      bob

      Delete
  4. Like Trebian I use Ronseal - in my case matt coat, which dries semi gloss. I've been using it for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Armatys,

      Thanks for the suggestion.

      In the past I did try using matt varnish, but the end results were inconsistent. I might well try using Ronseal's varnish if the coverage ends up being semi gloss or satin.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/humbrol-35-gloss-varnish-gloss-enamel-14ml/? or https://houseofhobbies.co.uk/product/humbrol-no-35-gloss-varnish-gloss-tinlet-14ml or https://www.flightstore.co.uk/aircraft-scale-models-c1459/plastic-model-kits-c1434/paints-c1445/humbrol-no-35-varnish-gloss-14ml-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel Drury,

      Thanks for the links. I ordered some tinlets of varnish from House of Hobbies last week, and they were delivered on Monday.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.