Pages

Friday 2 September 2022

Send three and four pence …

I mentioned some time ago that the next batch of figures I was going to repaint, varnish, and rebase were some 15mm Essex Miniatures Sudanese infantry that I bought ready-painted over twenty years ago. They had been painted in uniforms that were a mixture of brown and khaki and that they were wearing khaki fezzes/tarbushes on their heads.

I have now completed their renovation, and they will be used to form some Reserve units for the army of the Sultanate of Khakistan.

The Army of Khakistan now comprises:

  • Infantry
    • 1st Infantry Regiment
    • 2nd Infantry Regiment
    • 3rd Infantry Regiment
    • 4th Infantry Regiment
    • 5th Infantry Regiment
    • 11th Infantry Regiment
    • 12th Infantry Regiment
    • 13th Infantry Regiment
    • 14th Infantry Regiment
    • 1st Machine Gun Battalion
  • Cavalry
    • 1st Light Cavalry Regiment
    • 2nd Lancer Regiment
  • Artillery
    • 1st Field Artillery Regiment
    • 2nd Field Artillery Regiment
  • Engineers
    • 1st Engineer Battalion
    • 11th Engineer Battalion
  • Train
    • 1st Supply Column
    • 2nd Supply Column
    • 11th Supply Column
    • 12th Supply Column
  • Generals
    • A Major-General (Mounted)
    • Two Brigadier-Generals (Foot)

Units shown in italics are reserve units.


This batch of figures brings the total number that I have renovated for my Belle Époque project to 517 ... and there are still more to come.

The number of figures in each army are as follows:

  • Burgundy: 105
  • Harabia: 92
  • Hyderapore: 23
  • Khakistan: 81
  • Khyberistan: 36
  • Sahel: 84
  • Schwarzenberg: 81
  • Stalbania: 15

12 comments:

  1. Good stuff, you're powering through this project! Are you reserving the Infantry Regimental numbers 6th-10th for non-reserve units?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donjondo,

      I am looking at this project as one that I will pursue and use for the foreseeable future.

      The ‘missing’ numbers might eventually be filled by regular units. It all depends upon what figures I can find and/acquire in the future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hello there Bob,

    That is some going! It is a really efficient way to go in my opinion - upcycling various figures into a coherent collection and best of all keeping the financial outlay to a very modest level. I know you have added a few Irregular Miniatures bits and pieces but this has to be a very economical project as well as being enormously satisfying.

    I am looking forward to seeing what battles and campaigns they will be undertaking in due course!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Funnily enough, I’m following Eric’s policy of using what he had to hand to fill most of the gaps that there were in his various collections. For example, Medieval Arab cavalry (painted in West Ham’s colours!) being used as irregular cavalry for his Turkish army, and Confederate infantry painted in butternut and wearing hats with a turned up brim for the KAR!

      I think that too many wargamers spend money to get what’s new and shiney rather than looking at what they already have and working with it. I’ve made a few purchases on eBay and from Essex and Irregular Miniatures to fill the gaps in my Belle Époque collection … and found the process both enthralling and enjoyable.

      I am at the stage when I pretty well have the rules for both my campaigns and battles done and dusted … and the Belle Époque project will probable be ready to go in by the start of 2023 … I hope!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Great additions! I do like this project and the idea of giving figures a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Cheers! I was very pleased with the way the figures turned out, and I felt a smidgeon of pride when I placed them in the Khakistan Army storage box.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. BOB,
    The ESSEX 15mm figures are very nice- they do have a certain charm and certainly are appealing. Look forward to seeing them in Battle. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’ve always liked Essex Miniature’s figures, and they are my ‘go to’ manufacturer, although I also like figures made by Irregular Miniatures, Peter Pig, Minifigs, and Peter Laing.

      By the beginning of 2023, I hope to get the project to a stage when the fighting - and the fun - can begin.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    I am looking forward to when the fun and fighting begin! Reading these posts is starting to bring on the Blacklands Wars itch. Trouble is, I have at least two other itches needing a good scratch!

    Keeps things interesting, I guess.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      With a bit of luck (and some work on my part), the Belle Époque project will be ready to 'go' by the beginning on 2023 ... and then the fun should begin! I have a few more armies to renovate, some maps and backgrounds to create, and then everything will be ready, although I expect that - over time - it will continue to grow and evolve.

      Ah! The wargaming 'itch'! I also have it from time to time, and it takes a lot of effort not to give in to it too easily. That said, I'd love to see a return to the Blacklands sometime soon!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      They make excellent second-line troops for my pseudo-Turks, the Khakistanis.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.