Pages

Monday 19 September 2022

The Queen Is Dead! Long Live The King!

Today is the day of the late Queen's funeral, and Sue and I will, like many other people, be spending it at home watching events as they unfold.

The late King, George VI, died on 6th February 1952, the day before my second birthday, and the late Queen immediately became Queen Elizabeth II. Her coronation was held on 2nd June 1953, and I have a few vague and very hazy memories of attending a street party that was held on that day in Frazier Street, Waterloo, SE1.

The Coronation street party held in Frazier Street. In the background are several of my aunts, my grandmother, and my great grandmother.
Me (aged 3), not looking at the camera! Even then I was probably more interested in the food than what was going on around me.

During my life I have worked for the bank that dealt with the Queen's money (Coutts and Company) and although I was not introduced to her, I was at the opening of the Royal Artillery Museum in Woolwich, and she passed me whilst I was standing by one of the exhibits. (As a member of the Board of Friends of the Museum I was asked to stand by an exhibit that I knew something about. I chose the M1 75mm Pack Howitzer, which my father had used when he was a member of 53rd [Worcestershire Yeomanry] Air Landing Light Regiment, Royal Artillery). We were told not to try to make eye contact with her, so all I actually saw was the feather on the top of her hat as she walked past me!

Today I will be saying a quiet 'Goodbye' to her as I watch her funeral unfold. She has been my sovereign for most of my life and I am still finding it difficult not to refer to the new king a Prince Charles.

THE QUEEN IS DEAD!
LONG LIVE THE KING!


We are also having to get used to singing the revised word of the National Anthem.

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King.

10 comments:

  1. "Enjoy" the day, Bob, if that is the right word. I note that you omitted this seldom sung verse:
    God grant that Marshal Wade
    Will with thy might aid
    Victory bring
    May he sedition hush
    And like a torrent, Rush
    Rebellious Scots to crush
    God save the King!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rross,

      'Enjoy' isn't the word I would have used to describe how I think I am going to feel, but I know what you mean. As the the 'missing' verse of the National Anthem, I was told some time ago that it was no longer regarded as being part of the official anthem as it was outdated and divisive.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I was born two years too late for her coronation, and one year too soon to be there for her visit to the College Militaire Royal de St Jean on the occasion of its 25th anniversary. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      Sue and I have both now lived under three monarchs … something that is relatively rare today. In all that time, and despite working in the public sector for most of our working lives, neither of us actually met the Queen. As I described above, I was close to her once, but she never spoke to me.

      We have watched the ceremonial and the service at Westminster Abbey, and we are now watching the progress of the funeral cortège from the Waterloo Arch to Windsor Castle.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. BOB,
    Your photos from 1952 would hold special memories for you- the great street arrayed with children and parents...I wonder if there are similar celebrations dedicated to King Charles III...perhaps later in the year would be a good time to hold such an event. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’d forgotten all about this photograph until I happened to find it a couple of days ago whilst looking for something else. I have very vague memories of that day in 1953, but I remember going to the party because it was where my great grandmother lived.

      I understand that King Charles’s Coronation will probably be next Summer, and I fully expect that it will be celebrated with street parties across the UK … and probably across the Commonwealth.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. They're great photos to have Bob. A piece of social history as well as royal. Got me intrigued to see what Frazier Street looks like today. One side (early 20th C?) flats and the other late century houses so it looks like those old terraces have gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      When I was a child that whole area of London was seemingly full of sooty black tenements and bomb sites. Over the years it has been redeveloped, and the last time I paid it a visit - which must be twenty years ago - I hardly recognised it. That said, the building of the maternity hospital in which I and my brother were born is still there, but now forms part of a budget hotel.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    All this reminds me of the anthem penned by one T.H. Whitem on the occasion - well, FOR the occasion - of the passing of another. legendary, monarch;

    “God save King Pendragon,
    May his reign long drag on,
    God save the King.
    Send him most gorious,
    Great and uproarious,
    Horrible and hoarious,
    God save our King.”

    ― T.H. White

    Or, my own rendition

    'God Save Our Charles the Third
    Of his reign may much be heard
    God save our king
    Send him boons various,
    good times hilarious,
    nothing nefarious -
    God save our king!'

    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      After the rather somber mood brought on by watching the Queen’s funeral yesterday, your version of the National Anthem made me smile.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.