Pages

Thursday 15 August 2024

Hitting a brick wall

I broke my left leg eighteen weeks ago ... and I have been striving to get better ever since. For months I was basically confined to my bed or a chair next to my bed, and it is only during the last fortnight that I have begun to get the sort of treatment that I need to regain my mobility. I can now stand (with assistance) and I have manged to walk a few steps using a Zimmer frame (which is also known as a walker or walking frame) to support me. I no longer need a hoist to get me in and out of bed and can do that myself (using the Zimmer frame) as long as I am supervised ... just in case I run into any difficulties.

All of this is very positive, and the fact that I now have a diagnosis of axonal polyneuropathy* in both my lower legs means that the physiotherapists can devise a programme of exercises that should help me regain more mobility in the future.

What has yet to be determined is the cause of the neuropathy. The most common causes are excessive, long-term alcohol consumption and diabetes ... but as I don't drink alcohol and blood tests show no sign that I have diabetes means that I will need further tests in the future to identify the reason why I have developed this condition. My fear is that it might be something that cannot be treated and reversed as this will mean that any mobility that I do regain might be restricted for the rest of my life.

During the past eighteen weeks I have been using my interest in wargaming to help keep me from falling into a state of despair. The old 'Black Dog' has been sniffing around quite a bit of late and there is only so much thinking and writing about wargaming that one can do before a state of ennui cuts in. I have now reached that stage and desperately feel the need to set up some terrain, get some figures on a tabletop, and play a wargame!

To date I have been very lucky in that I have had the support of my numerous wargaming friends and acquaintances, many of who have written me wonderful messages. Thanks to Zoom, I have even been able to observe at least one wargame and been involved in it at a distance. However, I can sense that my enthusiasm for arms-length wargaming is waning, and I really need to take a step back and reappraise my future wargaming projects.

I had already decided to concentrate my efforts on my Belle Époque project, but to do so I really need to have access to a better computer than the current, small 12-inch laptop that I am using as well as to the Belle Époque figures that are in my currently unreachable toy/wargame room. I need to find a way by which I can undertake further work on this project within my currently restricted circumstances. I have a couple of ideas ... but I need to think about them before committing to one of them.


* According to online sources, axonal polyneuropathy is defined as follows:

Axonal polyneuropathy is a type of polyneuropathy, which is a systemic process that damages nerve cells, nerve fibres, and nerve coverings. It causes symptoms and signs related to axon loss, such as impaired sensation, muscle weakness, or pain. Axonal polyneuropathy can affect both large and small fibres, but small-fibre polyneuropathy can specifically interfere with the ability to feel pain or changes in temperature.

Those sources identify its main causes are:

  • Nutritional deficiencies, most commonly of thiamine, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, or vitamin E, or from excess intake of vitamin B6 or alcohol.
  • Metabolic diseases such as diabetes, kidney failure, connective tissue disease, deficiency syndromes such as malnutrition and alcoholism, or the effects of toxins or drugs such as chemotherapy.
  • Nerve compression or injury.
  • Hereditary diseases.
  • Autoimmune conditions.

22 comments:

  1. Bob -
    Given all the medical issues that have impacted upon your life in recent times, your bearing up against them, and managing to keep your blog going and publishing the Compendia into the bargain, has been admirable. But sometimes one needs to change something to keep up one's 'joie de vivre'.

    Getting 'down and dirty' with some actual war gaming sounds just the thing - and 'La Belle Epoque' just the sort of light hearted project.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Thanks for your very kind and supportive comment.

      Things have been a bit difficult of late on the mobility front. I got a bit too enthusiastic for my own good and managed to fall over whilst trying to walk through from the conservatory to the kitchen. There was a raised edge to the bottom of the door ... and I managed to trip over it! The shock of falling over rather knocked me back emotionally and psychologically ... but rather like the rider who falls off his horse, I've got back into the saddle and I am back walking again with my walking frame.

      My Belle Époque project is certainly the best way for me to move forward again with my wargaming ... and I will certainly be revisiting it again very soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob, I'm sorry to hear you are feeling down. While it sounds like more Zoom related activity, I'd suggest again considering joining us in the VWC as I know you would receive a warm welcome. If nothing else you could have a good old moan with gentlemen of a similar vintage suffering from medical complaints!
    I always find the VWC a real tonic that keeps me going through the week.....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      Thank you for your very helpful suggestion ... which I will certainly give serious consideration to.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Ditto Neil's comment a Saturday afternoon visit to the VWC is always worth a visit, generates interest and ideas.
    It is a pleasant way to spend an hour and half.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiberian General (Willz),

      Thanks for the extra vote for joining the VWC. Its beginning to make a lot of sense for me to join.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Keep on keepin' on, Bob. Best wishes to you from down under.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prufrock (Aaron),

      Cheers! In the words of Winston Churchill, I intend to keep b*gg*ring on as best I can.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. In a very practical way that bungalow you’ve previously mentioned would be extremely handy. No stairs + access to all rooms (especially ones containing wargame and hobby stuff) would certainly be a big “positive” I’m sure.
    Take care. Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliesdad (Geoff),

      Sue and I have been looking for a bungalow, but we cannot find one that is within easy travelling distance of the hospital that is treating my cancer and neuropathy. It would be an ideal solution ... but there are very few in the area where we live, and those that do exist have all seem to have been converted into chalet bungalows.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Given the travails that you have faced Bob I think you are remarkably upbeat and your blog is still a great source of information and enjoyment. Hopefully you will be able to crack on with your project and regain you vim and vigour! Looking forward to seeing what you do with your Belle Epoque project and where it takes you. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Thanks for your kind comment. I try to be as positive as I can, but falling over rather gave my confidence a bit of a knock. I am now regaining that confidence, and I am doing as much exercise as I can to rebuild my muscle strength and mobility.

      My Belle Époque project has lots of potential, and I am hoping that once I've had a short break from it, I will return to it with renewed enthusiasm.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. BOB,
    It is good that you are receiving help with your mobility. Yes, that old black dog can hang around awhile and tends to bit when we least expect it - stay well my friend. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! The help I am getting is slowly beginning to have an impact on my overall mobility … and goes some way to helping my keep the ‘Black Dog’ at bay.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. I hope you are able to find a solution that works for you. I remain hopeful you will continue to improve and find a way to scratch that wargaming itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I can see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel … but it is still some way off. A short break will - hopefully - help me to find a solution and I can get back to my wargaming.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your travials Bob, but at least you are more mobile and the nurses/OT have hope you will gain even more mobility in due course. KBO on as they say and thankfully Blogs, Youtube etc can be a blessed bonus in keeping us all connected.

    BTW the Shape of Things to Come film is on Amazon Prime and we watched it a few days agao and really enjoyed it! Even SWMBO was quite taken with it. I loved all the sets and models and am a fan of the Korda brother's films!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      The Occupational Therapists are doing a great job. The latest ‘toy’ I have acquired is a set of exercise pedals which should help improve the mobility of my knees. I’ve only had them for a day, and I’ve already noticed some improvement.

      I have also discovered that the film is also available on YouTube. By the way, I agree about Korda’s films. My favourites are TTC and THE FOUR FEATHERS.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Really glad to hear you are making progress with your mobility Bob. I'm sure a solution to your wargaming itch will come along soon.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete.,

      I have now bought a set of exercise pedals, and although I have only been using them for a couple of days, I have already noticed an improvement in my muscle strength and joint flexibility. What's great about them is that I can watch TV or read whilst exercising!

      The short break has given me time to think, and I now have a plan forming in my head. I will be writng about what I am going to do next very soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. Nothing much to add, except more good wishes, Bob!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      Cheers! Thanks for your best wishes. I am getting better ... but much slower than I would have liked.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.