Pages

Monday 1 July 2019

Breaking free from ennui

It feels as if I am gradually emerging from the feeling of ennui that has been dogging me of late ... and none too soon with COW (Wargame Developments's annual Conference of Wargamers) starting next Friday. Luckily I've done most of the preparation that I need to do, although I still need to write the individual briefings for each of the players taking part in my 'Carry On up the Nile!' game.

The short break Sue and I took in Bristol helped, as has the recent thinking that I have been doing regarding the organisation of my Napoleonic and World War II collections. However, the biggest thing that has helped to jolt me out of my state of ennui has been the work I have been doing to create A WINTER-ISH WAR and a second mini-campaign book entitled TROUBLE IN ZUBIA. The latter is almost finished, and re-reading what I originally wrote about these two mini-campaigns on my blog, and looking at the pictures of the battles that I fought, has reminded me that I can derive a lot of fun from my wargaming without having to do loads of preparation and using what I already have to hand.

I have underlined and emboldened the two statements in the previous paragraph because I have realised that it was thinking about preparing figures etc., for a wargame and looking for stuff to add to my existing collections that has been one of the causes for my ennui. (There are others, but they are more to do with having what appears to be a cold that has lasted for months and problems with my right hip and back due to scoliosis, old age, and arthritis that have reduced my mobility somewhat!)

I don't expect a sudden burst of feverish wargaming activity to replace my ennui, but once COW is over, I do hope to do some solo wargaming using my mini-campaign board, my Hexon II terrain, and figures from my existing collections.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good plan. Sometimes I find that actually putting on a game or two will help with the painting inspiration as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Dean,

      Making the effort and actually putting on a wargame (rather than what seems to have been a constant diet of 'planning and preparation') will hopefully do the trick.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. :)

    Looking forward to a catch up Bob
    See you soon!
    I expect that we will be fanning ourselves in the tropical heat again and taking on locally brewed fluids for medicinal purposes;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      COW is only a matter of days away ... and it should be a surefire cure for my ennui!

      Here's hoping that we will have 'COW weather' next weekend, and that the 'medicine' is up to its usual standard!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. "I can derive a lot of fun from my wargaming without having to do loads of preparation and using what I already have to hand."

    That's a good reminder for me, too. Although I do enjoy the preparation sometimes, I also find it can hold me back as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      I think that too often I am trying to produce the perfect wargame, and let producing something perfect get in the way of enjoying the experience.

      The following quotes sort of sum it up:
      * Voltaire: 'The best is the enemy of the good.'
      * Confucius: 'Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without'
      * Shakespeare: 'Striving to better, oft we mar what's well.'

      That's not to say that I don't enjoy the preparation ... but I sometimes forget that it is not the be all and end all of wargaming. (i.e. 'When you're up to your neck in alligators, it's hard to remember you came there to drain the swamp.')

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Is this how you are feeling Bob?
    http://notbored.legtux.org/ennui1.png
    A good game and some social activity may bring you out of this.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron Morris (Ron),

      Yep! The cartoon certainly does sum up how I have been feeling.

      With COW next weekend, I should get a few good games under my belt in a very convivial atmosphere.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.