Pages

Tuesday 9 July 2019

COW2019: Other people's impressions

Some of the other attendees at COW2019 have already begun to write blog entries about their experiences. I have read them (I should have been writing my own reminiscences but ...) and I am struck that they put me in mind of Wellington's quote about writing the history of a battle. I have therefore amended it to suit the circumstances:
'The history of a COW is not unlike the history of a ball. Some individuals may recollect all the little events of which the great result is the conference, but no individual can recollect the order in which, or the exact moment at which, they occurred, which makes all the difference as to their value or importance.'

To read some of these COW-related blog entries, please visit:
More relevant blog entries will no doubt follow, and I will add links as and when they do.

4 comments:

  1. The blogging habit does rather tend to give an existential dimension to hobby events. Rather like the tree in the forest—no blog entry=no noise? Every now and then I find it refreshing to take a break and just indulge in an experience without the pressure of recording it running in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed M,

      When I write my blog entry about COW2019, it will be the basis of my more detailed report for inclusion in THE NUGGET. I think of it as being a draft of the eventual full report, which is one reason why I'm not rushing to complete it.

      Sometimes having a break from anything that you do regularly is a good idea, and it is a rule that I ought to follow more frequently. However, if I have something I want to write a blog entry about, I do it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes. I had forgotten your role in the organization.

      Delete
    3. Ed M,

      Someone has to do it ... and it has been me since 1980!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.