Pages

Friday 15 April 2022

Trials, tribulations ... and more tests!

Since I my recent stay in hospital, my medical situation has dominated pretty well everything that I do. My sleeping pattern is very erratic thanks to my being fitted with a catheter and bag (if you turn over in the night and catch one or other, boy do you know it!) and my mobility is limited. I have managed to drive to the shops and back, but even with an automatic transmission, sitting in the car can be painful. I can walk (slowly) and can climb the stairs in our house (even slower). The latter is very inconvenient as our home office and my toy/wargames room are on the top floor, up two flights of stairs.

Despite all of the above, I am managing to cope, thanks in no small part to my wife, Sue. She has been a great support, putting up will my occasional outburst of ill temper and depression, and keeps me on an even keel all the time. She makes concessions to my condition, but she hasn't allowed me to become a slave to it.

Wednesday is a case in point.

I had to go to University College Hospital, Lewisham, on Wednesday for yet another scan. This time it was a CT scan, and because there was a possibility that they might have to sedate me, I was not allowed to drive myself there and back. The appointment was at 12.15pm, but I was required to be there an hour earlier so that I could drink a litre of special liquid that would enhance the effectiveness of the scan. Although Google Maps stated that the journey would only take twenty-five minutes, we set off over an hour beforehand.

To get to the hospital, we had to drive around the South Circular. For non-Londoners, this is a route across South London that was proposed over one hundred years ago. A short section was built in the early 1920s, but further development was delayed, and eventually a number of local roads were joined together by little more than road signs to form the current route.

The North and South Circular Roads now form the outer boundary of the ULEZ (Ultra Low Emission Zone), and all vehicles travelling inside the zone that do not meet certain exhaust emission standards have to pay a daily charge of £12.50 for cars, vans and motorcycles, and £100 for coaches, HGVs and buses. As a result, traffic levels on the South Circular - which were already high - have increased as drivers seek to avoid entering the ULEZ.

Despite the heavy traffic, we reached the hospital just after 11.00am ... and then could find nowhere to park! As a result, Sue had to drop me off and drive home (a journey that took her forty-five minutes) after agreeing to come to collect me when my scan was over.

After drinking my litre of special liquid and being fitted with a cannula so that a chemical marker could be introduced to my blood system during the scan, I went into have the scan. Unfortunately, the cannula failed and I had to be taken out of the scanner to have a second cannula fitted. This delayed the scan, and I wasn't actually finished until 12.50pm. I phoned Sue, and she drove back to the hospital to collect me. By the time she had negotiated her way there, picked me up, and we had got back home, it was well after 2.15pm. We were both very hungry (I was not allowed to eat before the scan), and after a late lunch, I had a very long sleep in my armchair.

In fact, I kept dozing off until it was time for our evening meal, and I felt dog-tired when I eventually went to bed ... only to find that I could not sleep!

This is not an untypical day for me ... and until my medical problem is identified and I can begin treatment, it is likely to remain so. Doing the occasional bit of modelling or work on the Compendium is helping to keep my mind occupied and the pain at bay, but progress on both is slow.

26 comments:

  1. Thoughts are with you and my prayers.
    A trying time for you indeed. Sounds like you are in excellent hands with Sue.I am glad some modelling and editing are providing some distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tradgardmastare,

      Many thanks for you support and prayers. I suspect that I am going to need them.

      I am incredibly lucky to have Sue beside me. We have been married for 39 years, and I’ve not always been easy to live with, but she has stuck with me through thick and thin. She is a saint.

      At least I have hobbies that can help keep my mind off my troubles. I hate to think how people who don’t have such hobbies manage to cope.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob...I am very sorry to hear of the troubles you are having. I sincerely hope they get you sorted just as soon as possible so you can get back to a more normal life. In the meantime stay strong my friend...Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony Adams,

      Thanks very much for your message of support. Knowing that there are lots of people out there who are rooting for me gives me strength when thing get a bit tough.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. BOB,
    Sorry to hear you are going through the wringer- so to speak. Hope that the medical problems can be identified and things can settle down for you. We are fortunate to have hobbies that can take your mind off things and provide stress/worry relief. Best wishes to you and Sue. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson,

      Thanks very much for your kind words. I am expecting things to begin moving forward once Easter is over. At least I have things to occupy my mind in the meantime.

      Keep safe and keep well,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Maybe you need some new dice Bob!

    Luckily for us, despite being in the boonies, we are less than a 20 min drive from our regional hospital, maybe 23 if traffic is bad!. Of course a trip to Emergency, can involve a wait or 8 or more hours if you're not judged to be in a critical state.

    BUT if we need anything more sophisticated, its an hour to Halifax if the traffic is light and hardly anywhere to park without some sort of subscription - their new and "visitor friendly" system!

    You have a good team there and will beat this yet.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I’ve been rolling a few too many 1s of late!

      We have three hospitals within five miles of our house. The nearest - the Queen Elizabeth - is so close that we can see it from the back of our house … but it does not have all the facilities that University Hospital, Lewisham, has. The third is the Queen Mary Hospital in Sidcup. It has no A&E Department, and tends to deal mainly with minor surgery and out patient clinics.

      The team who are dealing with me seem to be on the ball, and are dealing with my case as fast as resources allow.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I'm also glad you have your hobby to keep your spirits up. I don't know if I'd be able to stay as positive if I were going through the same.
    It sounds like you have a strong partner in Sue and that can make things a lot easier to manage. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Cheers! Having an absorbing hobby is helping … but at 3.00am it can be difficult to remain positive. Luckily I know that I have Sue’s support, regardless of what happens. In fact, she realised that I’d had a bad night last night, and this morning she asked me to help her renovate one of her dolls houses. She had removed the existing roof tiles (they had begun to fall off) and wanted advice and help replacing them. It was exactly the sort of task I needed … and two hours zipped past, during which I felt no discomfort or pain!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Hello Bob,

    Really sorry to read that you are going through this but sounds like you are being well supported so hopefully things will resolve in the near future.

    South Circular brings back some memories as used to cycle from Plumstead to Forest Hill on that route, treacherous it was too!

    I'm sure my good lady wife would echo your words re Sue, we have also been married for 39 years and she is my rock.

    Have a relaxing and peaceful Easter Bob and here's to you getting back on your feet again soon :)

    All the best,

    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ‘Lee,

      I have good days and bad days. Today has got better as they day has progressed, in no small part due to Sue finding something new to occupy my mind,

      I sometimes have to drive around the North Circular … and the South Circular does not compare with it. Other than in the Eltham area, the South Circular is just a series of local roads that happen to join each other. Driving around it is bad enough; cycling round it must have been a horrendous experience!

      Have a great Easter!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Dear Bob, I hope everything will be okay. Keep thinking about the hobby and things that make you happy, keep positive and as mentally stimulated as possible so that you can get through this. I know how dreadfully boring, sterile and depressing the hospital/medical scene can be.
    My sincere best wishes for you and to recovery.
    Greetings from Melbourne Australia
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glory to Ruritania (Quinn),

      Thanks for your best wishes.

      Having some form of mental stimulation really does help me to cope … for most of the time. I noticed this particularly during my recent stay in hospital, where reading and chatting with my ‘cell mates’ were my only diversion.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Hoping the good days begin to outnumber the bad days soon Bob
    Best wishes for Easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! I am hoping that Sue and I will have a great Easter, and it marks the beginning of things getting better.

      May I wish you and yours a wonderful Easter.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a trying time. Sounds like you’re in good hands though. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Many thanks for your best wishes.

      Things have been rather difficult at time, but thanks to Sue and others, I’m not alone in having to face my difficulties.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Hi Bob

    This is when you realize what the term "good woman" means.

    Blessed Easter to you and Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur,

      Very, very true! I owe Sue far more than I could ever say.

      Have a great Easter.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  11. My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery once they have a treatment plan for you. It's good to have the help of family and friends and something to occupy your mind and provide a pleasurable distraction during difficult times. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Thank you for your very kind words and thoughts. Whatever the outcome, I know that my wife, my hobby, and my friends will help me to cope.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  12. Hello there Bob,

    Thoughts are with you and fingers are crossed for not only a positive outcome from all the tests but also that the parking Gods decide to favour you! I can think of few things more onerous than having to fight to part when awaiting something medical to take place - the latter is of course bad enough to contend with on it’s own! Let us hope the news is positive and that you will be firing on all cylinders soon.

    All the very best old chap,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      Cheers! Thanks very much for you kind words.

      I am hoping that whatever is wrong with me, it will respond to treatment. The parking problem is probably a more difficult one to solve!

      The local bus service can take me too and from the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in between ten and fifteen minutes, but to get to University Hospital, Lewisham, has no direct public transport link from where I live. I therefore have to rely on car or minicab to get there.

      It’s a bit of a nuisance to say the least!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  13. Sorry to hear about your troubles Bob. I had a catheter fitted after my prostate op and sleeping wasn't at all easy as you sadly know. Fingers crossed going forward.

    BTW, I've missed loads of your posts as my anti- virus software blocks your blog as it says it is infected with a phishing software thingy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I am gradually getting used to sleeping in a position where I don't seem to catch the catheter and bag anywhere near as much ... but I have yet to manage a restful night of sleep.

      I don't know why my blog has suddenly begun to come up as a URL Phishing site. I have contacted my anti-virus software provider - AVG - and asked them to whitelist my blog. In the meantime they have advised me to add my blog address to the list of approved URLs in my settings. The only alternative seems to be to turn off your anti-virus software every time you want to read my blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.