Pages

Monday 24 October 2022

… and then the fridge door fell off!

Having written that I would only blog when I had something to write about, I have had a day of travails that I needed to share with my regular blog readers!

My day started well. I had an appointment with the consultant oncologist at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich, at 10.15am, and the news was encouraging. The treatment I am undergoing seems to be working, and they may be able into reduce the dosage level of Erleada/apalutamide after Christmas. In addition, I am going to be referred to the consultant radiographer to see if the cancer in my lymph glands can be treated.

It was once my appointment was over that things began to go downhill.

I had to collect my next batch of Erleada/apalutamide from the oncology treatment area, but when I presented myself, it wasn’t there. It had been ordered last Friday, but the pharmacy had not yet delivered it. The receptionist telephoned them to ask where it was and was told that it was on its way. It finally arrived nearly forty-five minutes later, during which time I was able to go the the phlebotomy department to have a blood test that the consultant oncologist had asked me to have before I left the hospital. It is worth noting that I had to walk past the pharmacy to get to the phlebotomist but was not allowed to collect my medication as I did!

After I had finally managed to collect my medication, I walked to the nearby bus stop to catch the 244 bus to go home … and waited … and waited … and waited! The 244 bus is supposed to come along every fifteen minutes, but today it was nearly forty-five minutes before one arrived. Apparently, one bus had broken down and then the next one had to be taken out of service after the driver became ill. As a result, I did not get home until just before 1.00pm.

Sue had waited until I got back before she made lunch, and whilst I sat having a drink in our living room, she went to the kitchen to start preparing our meal. All of a sudden, she cried out for help and when I got to the kitchen, she was holding the fridge door ... which had fallen off! The bottom pivot had sheared off without warning and the door had nothing to hold it in place.

We hurriedly emptied the contents of the fridge into cool bags or the freezer so that I could move the fridge in order to see if I could repair the pivot, but it was soon apparent that it was well beyond my capabilities to fix it.

Once the food was safely stored in cool bags or the freezer, Sue and I trawled the Internet to see if we could find a replacement fridge. This proved to be a harder task than we imagined it would be as most retailers who had suitable fridges in stock were unable to deliver them before next week. One website in particular was extremely useless (I won't name it, but its name rhymes with Ruby Murray) as it promised next day delivery on almost every model of fridge listed, but when you got to the checkout page, it informed you that the fridge you had selected was no longer available for delivery. Needless to say, we bought our new fridge from another online retailer, and they should be delivering it on Wednesday morning. In the meantime, over the next couple of days Sue and I are going go have to eat the food that we could not get into a cool bag or freezer!

20 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your travails, especially the fridge door:(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Everything was going so well until I’d finished talking to the consultant …

      At least I won’t have to remove the door before I can dispose of the old fridge.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob - it sounds like you missed out on the opportunity to showcase your best Michael Caine impression and remind Sue that she’s “not supposed to pull the bl**dy fridge door off”… 😂🤣
    All the best,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliesdad (Geoff),

      Your comment made me laugh out loud … something that I needed to do after the sort of day I’ve had!

      😂🤣😂🤣

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. I'm glad I read this as I scrolled down to comment - I was about to make the same joke! :)

      Delete
    3. TamsinP,

      It’s a good joke that deserves to be repeated!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Oh dear! Three misfortunes in one day, but bad luck comes in threes. Hopefully you will have a corresponding run of good luck to balance it out. I'm glad to hear your treatment seems to be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      It was a day that I would not want to relive if I had to. At one stage it really felt like I was taking one step forward and three steps back ... but now I've had a good night's sleep and I'm feeling much better.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. BOB,
    Oh-dear...when things go wrong it is usually in threes. Never before have I known a Fridge Door to fall off...how very unlucky! I guess your new Fridge will be most welcome on Wednesday. All the best to you Bob and Sue. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I have no idea why the pivot broke, but looking at the break, it was probably due to metal fatigue. I suppose that I could have tried to repair it, but I couldn’t find anyone who could supply the broken part.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear of your issues. It does seem that a lot of retailers advertise products as next day delivery, only for that not to be available when you get to the checkout.
    Hopefully you'll get through all the food which couldn't go in the cool-bags and freezer before it spoils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TamsinP,

      You are right about online retailers apparently offering a service - next day delivery - that they cannot actually fulfil being by far and away the norm. Likewise, ‘in stock’ and ‘collect from store’ are often misleading; ‘in stock’ means in a warehouse somewhere and ‘collect from store’ often turns out to be ‘order now … and collect from store when it’s been delivered there’.

      We are gradually managing to eat our way through the food we managed to get into the cool bags, and so far we haven’t had to throw anything away.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, you did have a rough day of it! Hopefully things will turn around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Douglas,

      Things have been better today, despite the on and off rain showers.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. A bit of a trying day, but the most important part was the good news about your treatment, I suppose! The same thing happened to our fridge last year, I remember the shock when it happened! Fortunately we were able to order a replacement pivot assembly on-line, which arrived in a few days and we fitted ourselves without too much trouble. As you say, at least it gave you some material to write about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      The news about my treatment is very encouraging … but I could have done without the bus problems and the fridge door falling off.

      I did try to repair the broken door pivot by switching the door from right-hand to left-hand opening, but the whole assembly was so corroded that removing it proved to be impossible.

      Writing about what happened yesterday helped me to defuse the anger and frustration I felt … a ploy that I was taught years ago.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Good news on health front, pity about all the frustrations afterwards ! Hopefully your wife was not hurt when door came off? They can be heavy and if you have as much jammed in door shelves as we do, then its pretty heavy combination. And I guess a pretty messy after hitting floor. Hope its not a frustrating day in waiting on new delivery on Wednesday. Carl, North Yorks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl,

      I suppose that what happened yesterday was an example of Yin and Yang in operation.

      Luckily it was the top pivot that broke, and the door dropped vertically (and stayed upright) as it fell off. My wife was more worried that the bottles of wine stored in the door might get smashed than anything else.

      Nothing was broken … but it was a close run thing.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. They do say that bad things come in threes.... My your today be luckier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I’ve just posted about how well my Wednesday went … and I’ll let you be the judge as to whether or not things have got better!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.