Pages

Saturday 8 October 2022

Getting back to something like normal

The COVID pandemic and my two bouts of cancer (the removal of a cancerous polyp in my colon that led to my colostomy, followed by my current prostate cancer) has meant that my involvement in Freemasonry has been severely curtained over the past two and a half years. During that time I have managed to go to a couple of Masonic meetings, but yesterday was the first one I have attended since I was told that my prostate cancer was pretty well dormant.

I am the treasurer of the Veritatem Sequere* Lodge No.9615, and yesterday saw the Installation of our new Worshipful Master into the Chair of King Solomon. For the first time in a long time I was able to attend a meeting without any concerns that my colostomy or prostate would ‘play up’ during the proceedings in the lodge room or at the Festive Board, which is what Masons call the after-meeting meal.

The crest of the Veritatem Sequere Lodge No.9615.

The Veritatem Sequere Lodge is almost unique in that it is what is termed a research lodge. Unlike most other Masonic lodges, the main work done during the meeting is the presentation of a lecture or talk by a member of the lodge or a distinguished visitor. The subject of the presentation is on a Masonic topic that he has researched. On this occasion, after the Installation of the incoming Worshipful Master he gave a presentation entitled ‘French Freemasonry, a brief examination of the similarities, the differences and the reasons'.

Traditionally, attendees and visitors don't ask questions about what they have heard until after the Festive Board has finished, and this session can often last longer than the actual presentation.

The meeting was held in Radlett, Hertfordshire, and it took me about ninety minutes to get there by car ... and about the same time to get home, even though the first journey was made during the run up to the rush hour on the M25. I had a great time, all the more so for the reaction I had from the members who were there. They have been following the progress of my cancers and my treatment with interest and were extremely pleased to see that I was now well enough to fully return to fill my office in the Lodge.

Yesterday marked another step on the road back to normality, and I hope that it will be the first of many.


*Veritatem Sequere means ‘follow the truth’.

12 comments:

  1. BOB,
    Good to hear that you are well enough to re-join your Friends in the Lodge and enjoy their company once again. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      It was quite a tiring event (including travel time, I was out for eight hours) but I really enjoyed myself, and the effort was well worth it.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. It's good to hear that you are beginning to get back to some degree of normal activity. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TamsinP,

      Cheers! I’m feeling tired today, but it has really helped me to gauge just how much progress I’ve made, and how much I still have to make.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that you were able to have a normal day as it were and that your fellow memebers were so happy to see you. Little things like this really do make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! It was great to see so many friends again, and although I feel very tired today, it did help to raise my morale.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that things are getting back to nearer normal. On an entirely unrelated point, as I know you are interested in them, there are some interesting small lots (boxes of painted figures by John Mitchell) of Peter Laing WW1 and WW2 15mm on eBay at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark, Man of TIN,

      Cheers! Thanks for your kind words of support.

      Thanks for the heads up about the Peter Laing figures. I must admit that they are very tempting … but I’m trying to resist buying them like I am trying to resist buying any of the new Mark Copplestone figures.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    There is nothing like getting back in the swim after a long absence. Great to hear you are getting your 'proper' life back together.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I had attended a meeting of my Mother Lodge back in May, but this was the first time I’d been to one since my recent good news … and I felt so much more relaxed. I just hope that this situation continues.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Great news on your health and social participation. May your march forward be enjoyable, all best Carl, from "up north"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl,

      Cheers! I understand that the situation can changes in the future, but for the time being I'm going to try to live as normal a life as I can.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.