Pages

Monday 22 May 2023

Increased printing costs means increased book prices

On 30th June Amazon are increasing the cost of printing books published using KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing), and this is going to mean that I am going to have to increase the selling price of the books that I have written or published by an average of 10% in order to cover this increase.

This is not an unexpected development given the current economic situation and I will attempt to keep any increases as low as possible. As far as I know, this will not affect the cost of producing electronic editions of my books and I do not expect to have to increase the price of Kindle or PDF editions.

6 comments:

  1. Got the same email, and I'm currently pondering what to do. The rise for the b&w books isn't too bad, but colour was a big leap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trebian,

      I’m going to look each of the books I publish using KDP and adjust the prices accordingly. Because I’ve always kept my profit margin on each book as low as I can, I don’t have a lot of slack that I can use to absorb the increase.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Likewise. I see that Sam Mustafa's "Nimitz" is printed by Amazon. Knowing what it costs to print a 100 page colour paperback through Amazon, at £40 a copy he's someone who isn't working on a low profit margin!

      Delete
    3. Trebian,

      I didn’t know that. When writer/publishers charge prices like that, it gives possible purchasers pause for thought about buying their books … and the books of other writer/publishers.

      In the past I’ve been accused of being a ‘fat cat’ author by someone who thought that because I was a published author I must all be a multi-millionaire!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    4. I was gob smacked at the pricing on some of the books on the Caliver Books stand at Partizan this last weekend. Knowing what I now know about Amazon print costs - which are higher than conventional printing - the profit margin on some publications is enormous, to put it mildly.

      Delete
    5. Trebian,

      I suppose that the difference between them and us is that we aren’t trying to make a living out of our writing and publishing whereas they probably are.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.