Pages

Sunday 7 May 2023

Coronation Day 1953

Back in September last year, I wrote a bit about the Coronation Day celebrations that were held in 1953. I included a photograph of me at a street party held in Frazier Street, Waterloo, SE1 ...

I subsequently realised that I was probably sitting next to my cousin Jacqueline, who is exactly three years older that me.

I do have some vague memories of the day, and I have since found a memento of the Coronation that we must all have been given at the street party. It was a newly-minted Crown coin (what would have been five shillings (5/-) or the equivalent of 25p in decimal currency) in a hard plastic case. I still have mine, ...

... along with several other commemorative coins that have been issued down the years. I understand that in good condition and still in its case, this coin is worth about £30.00.

I understand that the coin was designed by the sculptor Gilbert Ledward, and the obverse features the Queen riding on horseback rather than her face in profile, which is normal on Brtish coins. The reverse features a crown in the centre of an emblematic cross formed from a thistle, rose, leek and shamrock, the symbols of the countries that make up the United Kingdom.The edge inscription reads 'Faith and Truth I will Bear Unto You' which is taken from the Coronation Oath the late Queen took 1953.

6 comments:

  1. I was born between the King dying and the Coronation. Sadly, no pictures but I believe I was at a street party! Times seem to have changed since then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Young,

      As near contemporaries, we have seen the world change quite dramatically during our lives. I doubt that many children would look forward nowadays to party food that consisted of paste and jam sandwiches, orange squash, jam sponge, and fruit jelly!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Bob,
    We watch King Charles Coronation yesterday from 5:30pm until 1:00am- thoroughly enjoyable- we wish King Charles and his Queen all the very best in health and service. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      It must have been interesting to see this as Saturday peak time viewing!

      I’m sure that our new King and Queen will do an excellent job modernising the role of the monarchy. I certainly hope so.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I remember that - the September post, not the 53 coronation! I love seeing these photos from the recent past. How things have changed in that 70 years!
    Getting a whole Crown must have been wonderful, at least for the older children who had some idea about money. I can remember getting half a crown was quite a thing in the late 1960s.
    With respect to the Coronation, my youngest (16) said to me recently that they could end up seeing three in their lifetime with William being 40 and four at a stretch, given they are not that much older than George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      A crown was a fortune to a child back in 1953! When I was growing up, my pocket money was half a crown … and this meant that after paying for other things, I had just enough to buy an Airfix kit or box of soldiers at least once each month!

      I suspect that your youngest is right. Between 1900 and 1940 the UK had five monarchs (Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, and George VI), and there could easily be two or three over the next forty years.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.