Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

A wonderful birthday present!

I am now of an age where people tend to find it difficult to buy me birthday presents because they assume that I already have everything that I need ... but today I received one from my old friend Tony Hawkins that not only surprised me but also gave me tremendous pleasure!

Tony knows that I am a long-term devote of Hergé’s Tintin books (I blame Hergé for my ongoing interest in the interwar era and little known conflicts between small nations) and he sent me a copy of Michael Farr’s book about Professor Calculus.


I knew that Hergé based the character Cuthbert Calculus on the famous Swiss scientist Auguste Piccard … but until I read this book I had not realised how similar they were in so many ways.

I understand that Michael Farr has written books about all the major characters who appear in the Tintin books … and I hope to add some of them to my collection in the very near future.

Many thanks Tony; your present helped to make my birthday a special one!

2 comments:

  1. Hi

    Happy birthday.

    You have certainly been celebrating in grand style, and why not!

    Enjoy.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arthur,

    Many thanks for your best wishes. I have taken things easy today, and my wife and I are going out for a meal with friends this evening.

    I can't think of a much better way to spend a birthday.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.