Pages

Monday 27 February 2012

Reflections on the 'Monopoly'-inspired model battleship prototype

Now that I have had a chance to think about the prototype 'Monopoly'-inspired battleship model I completed today, I have come up with the following improvements that I will try to include in the next model:
  • The hull does not need to be quite so deep (i.e. have such a high freeboard) unless I am trying to model one of the French-style battleships/cruisers of the period.
  • The superstructure could have been a bit longer, with not such a large gap between the superstructure and the turrets.
  • The turrets must be of a slightly larger diameter or slightly shorter (I suspect that the turrets on the model would be ideal for the main guns of a cruiser or as the secondary armament on a battleship).
I intend to paint the prototype model in typical peacetime colours for Victorian-era battleships, but I may opt for a white hull rather than a black one. This will reinforce the American 'look' of the model, and will be in keeping with the origins of the token from the game of 'Monopoly'. (The token appears to have been a generic model based on US Navy warships of the late nineteenth century.)

10 comments:

  1. Bob

    Your ship is a thing of beauty - you're being too hard on your design.

    Paint her up and enjoy!

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter Douglas,

    I am very pleased with the end result ... and I hope that the next model (or models) will be even better!

    I have just finished coating the model with PVA to seal the wood. Once that is dry I can then begin painting it ... probably later today or early tomorrow.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim Gow,

    What I answered!

    If (and it is a big IF) I can produce enough model ships I may well put on a naval wargame at COW using a version of MOBAS.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,

    I reckon she will look the business when painted and will hopefully serve to inspire a MoBaS Tsushima type frenzy!

    Really neat idea.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Crook,

    I have just undercoated the model and hope to do the topcoat tomorrow morning. All that I will then have to do is paint on any detail.

    Once the paint is dry I intend to gloss varnish the model as I think that this will be more in keeping with the 'toy' nature of the project.

    A MOBAS Tsushima-type frenzy eh? ... the mind boggles!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. May I suggest a rules addition? - All players must wear cocked hats while at the games table.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat G,

    I love wearing 'silly hats' during wargames ... so your idea is not that far fetched!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks good, but if you can find a way in future models to get that "torpedo ram" bow pushing forward toward the waterline, you would take a big step forward in the "Victoria's Navy/Great White Fleet" look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lentulus,

    I hope to include ram bows on future models ... but it is not quite as easy to do as I had hoped (I did try but it did not quite come off in the end).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.