Pages

Wednesday 1 February 2012

Back on the road again

I had to spend time in Herne Bay again today as I had appointments to meet an Estate Agent who hopes to sell my father-in-law's bungalow for us and a representative of one of the companies who are bidding to clear and clean the house before it goes on sale. I did not get back until middle of the afternoon, but I was able to do a bit more work on my ship models before my wife returned from work.

One thing that I did manage to do yesterday was to make a former around which I could mould Plasticard to create a hull for my 'Monopoly'-inspired ship model.


I even managed to test it ... and though I say it myself, the resultant hull turned out looking quite reasonable.


If I have enough time later today I hope to refine this moulding technique and to complete some more test mouldings.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    That will be a beast and a half! I like the idea of the shaped plastic card around the wooden former.

    Will you be using grooved plastic card for the decking?

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    It's only going to be 4"/10cm long and just under 2"/5cm wide.

    I am still refining the method, but once it is finalised I should be able to turn out hulls quite quickly.

    I like the idea of using grooved Plasticard for the deck ... but I don't have any at the moment so I will just use normal Plasticard for the first models.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Master Class in the making here Bob!

    Can't wait to see the final product.

    I have an idea for a 'cartoon' fleet and I'll let you know when I get to the production phase. It will involve steel paper and magnetic tape and a 'cunning' design.

    Keep up the good work!!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jim Duncan,

    Once I have perfected the technique for moulding the hulls using a former and boiling water I will write a 'How to ...' blog entry to explain it.

    I am very interested to hear more about your 'cartoon' fleet and look forward to reading all about it in due course.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.