Pages

Sunday 24 July 2022

Drawing my own version of Waddington’s Campaign map: Further progress

Over the past few days I have been working on my own version of Waddington’s CAMPAIGN map/game board, and it presently looks like this:

Most of the terrain fits quite easily into the squared grid, but the rivers and borders, which tend not to conform to the grid, presented me with problems. I tried drawing freehand, but however careful I was, they just didn’t look right.

In the end I decided to depict both the rivers and borders as straight lines that run along or at a right angle to the edges of the grid squares. I know that this is a compromise and will not appeal to everyone, but it is the best solution that I could come up with.

France

Prussia

Russia

Spain

Italy

Austria

You will also note that I have yet to add any place names, but I intend to once I am totally happy with my version of Waddington's original map/game board.


All the above maps can be enlarged by clicking on them. They are all in JPEG format, but I hope to make them available in other formats as and when I can. I give permission for blog readers to download and use these maps for their own personal use, but not for distribution for commercial purposes.

8 comments:

  1. It is unfortunate that real rivers do not snap to a grid! Your solution seems to be a comfortable compromise for the campaign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. El Grego,

      I did draw a version of the map/game board with wriggly rivers and borders … but it didn’t look right. I suppose it comes down to a choice between realism or playability … and in this case, I’m firmly in the playability camp.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. So, there are no roads to these campaign maps? I see that isn't the case with the commercial ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,

      I have looked at both the first and second editions of the map/game boards from Waddington's CAMPAIGN game, and neither have any roads marked on them. Have you found a version that does? if you have, I'd be very interested to see a copy.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. All 4 line up together? Clever. 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stew,

      Yes, they do! I drew the larger map using MS Paint and then ‘cut’ out each country’s section of the map/game board.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. I'd argue that at this scale, any lack of straightness in a real river is insignificant, so straight lines are reasonable.
    Oh, and I had totally forgotten that Prussia and Italy have only four cities each!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Your comment about rivers explains my thinking better than I could have expressed it … and Prussia should have five cities! I realised that I had missed Stettin off my map after writing yesterday’s blog post and will be rectifying that omission later this morning.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.