Pages

Sunday 17 July 2022

Waddington’s Campaign

Years ago I owned a copy of the first edition of Waddington’s CAMPAIGN board game. I’m not sure what happened to it, but I recently bought a second-hand copy from eBay both for sentimental reasons and because I thought that the map/game board could provide the basis of a Napoleonic campaign.

The Campaign game's map/game board.
A section of the Campaign game's map/game board, in this instance, showing France.

The map lends itself to being used with a variation of the simple campaign rules laid down in THE PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME:

  • Before the campaign begins each side is allocated a playing card colour (Red or Black).
  • A standard pack of playing cards is shuffled and placed face down where all the players can see it.
  • When the campaign starts, the top playing card is turned over, and the colour of the playing card determines which side activates its units first and how many formations it may activate.
    • If the playing card is an Ace, that side may move all its formations one grid area.
    • If the playing card is a numbered playing card, that side may move one formation one grid area.
    • If the playing card is a Jack, that side may move its formations a total of two grid areas (i.e. it may move one formation two grid areas or two formations one grid area).
    • If the playing card is a Queen, that side may move its formations a total of three grid areas (i.e. it may move one formation three grid areas or one formation two grid areas and one formation one grid area or three formations one grid area).
    • If the playing card is a King, that side may move its formations a total five grid areas.
    • If the playing card is a Joker, that side throws a D6 die and reads the result from the following list of Special Events:
      • 1: That side may not move any of its formations for four turns of the cards.
      • 2: That side may not move any of its formations for three turns of the cards.
      • 3: That side may not move any of its formations for two turns of the cards.
      • 4: That side may not move any of its formations this turn.
      • 5: The Joker is treated as if it were a numbered playing card, and that side may move one formation one grid area.
      • 6: The Joker is treated as if it were an Ace, and that side may move all its formations one grid area.
  • After the playing card has been turned over and any actions have taken place, the playing card is discarded. The discarded playing cards are placed face up in a separate pile.
  • Once all the unused playing cards have been used, the pile of discarded playing cards is shuffled and placed face down where all the players can see it, ready to be dealt when required.
  • Movement rules
    • All movement is made through the face a grid area unless the grid areas only touch at a corner, in which case the movement is made through the corner of the grid area.
    • No unit may enter or pass through a grid area that is already occupied by an enemy formation.
    • It must stop in an adjacent grid area, throw a D6 die, and read the result from the following list:
      • 1: You do not bother with reconnaissance and will advance into the enemy-occupied grid area next turn.
      • 2: Your reconnaissance is very poor, and your formation must remain where it is until the enemy formation moves, or your reconnaissance improves.
      • 3: Your reconnaissance is poor, and the enemy must only disclose how many units they have in the adjacent grid area.
      • 4 or 5: Your reconnaissance is average, and the enemy must disclose the total SPs of the troops they have in the adjacent grid area.
      • 6: Your reconnaissance is good, and the enemy must disclose what troops they have in the adjacent grid area.

I think that the above rules could easily be adapted for use with the game's map/game board ... and I'd like to see if it works sometime soon.

20 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    Ahh, Waddington’s Campaign! I can safely say that this is without a doubt my most played board game by a long way! I still have the copy I was given as a birthday present when I was 12 - nearly 50 years ago. I have seen some ‘advanced’ rules kicking around on the net and am sure I have a file saved somewhere that I will ping over to you when I find it.

    As the basis for a simple campaign it would be really useful and the playing pieces (I have several sets) are also handy - in fact I am planning to use the General figure with my block armies.

    As an aside I once started to copy the map board from Avalon Hill’s War and Peace in squares to use with the campaign rules and pieces - I think I gave up when I had ‘mapped’ France!

    Great looking idea and I will certainly be keen to see where this goes.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      I bought a copy of the first edition back in the early 1970s and played it at the wargames club that I ran at the school I was working in at the time. Somewhere along the way I lost it, and seeing a copy on eBay reminded me of what an interesting game it was ... and its potential for use as a campaign map.

      I'm not sure what I'll use the playing pieces for other than for the game as designed, but it I were using blocks like yours, the 'general' would be an ideal choice to use alongside them.

      The problem with copying the boards from most games is their size, which is why I may well 'draw' my own using MS Paint.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Campaign is one of my favourite games, the board is one of the best looking and its over 50 years old.

    Willz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tiberian general (Willz),

      Until I bought this second-hand copy and re-read the rules, I had forgotten what a good game it is.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Played the game quite a bit as a youngster (12-13 years). A neat repurpose of the board for a campaign map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,

      It sounds as if it was quite popular with as lot of wargamers ... and the map calls out to be used for both the game and a campaign.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. This, along with Escape from Colditz, was an oft played game in our house in the seventies. I have often considered acquiring a copy of both! Later, we also played a fair bit of Risk.....good times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rross,

      I understand that ESACPE FROM COLDITZ has undergone a bit of a revival of late. I have even seen new copies on sale in Waterstones!

      RISK was one of my favourites, although I never did as well as I hoped I would in any of the games we played as a family. My brother and father much preferred Subbuteo and snooker to board games ... with the exception of MONOPOLY, which was a Christmas favourite for many years.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. I passed on buying this game at a bring and buy in Ottawa a month ago because I was not familiar with it. Now I wish I had bought it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Axeminster,

      I'm sure that you will be able to buy a reasonably-priced, second-hand copy online somewhere ... and I don't think that you'll regret your purchase if you do.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. As a child I always wanted Campaign but it never appeared at Christmas - I made my own on a large piece of cardboard and used tiddlywinks for armies!
    Your rules are intriguing and I'm keen to see how they play.
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      You could always buy a second-hand copy … or wait until I’ve managed to produce something similar that you can print out and use (big hint!).

      The rules and an example campaign are included in the PORTABLE COLONIAL WARGAME so I know that they work.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. That's what it says above and I didn't notice!! That will teach me to skim read..

      Delete
    3. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      I’ve spent a lifetime skim reading (it sort of comes with the territory of being a teacher/lecturer), so I quite understand.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Hi Bob, this brings back a few memories. I had Campaign in the late 70s but it went when my mum cleared out my old toys and games in the 80s. I was thinking of using it as the basis of an imagination campaign. I got another copy about ten years ago when a neighbour was clearing out some boardgames. Tried it with my son but he felt there was too much luck involved to keep his interest up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Yours sounds like a familiar story; boyhood toys disposed of when they appeared no longer wanted, only for you to discover later that you had a use for them.

      I must admit that I never thought of the rules relying much on luck for a result, but it is over forty years since I last played CAMPAIGN and my memories of the games I played may well have become clouded.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. The campaign game was one of my favourites as a kid, i think i played it to death. I still have a box somewhere that a brought a few years back. Must track it down, will have to give it a go for my imagi-nations campaign.
    Another addition for your next compendium i think
    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephen Smith,

      It really does seem to have been a favourite game with wargamers ... and I certainly think that it will feature in the next Compendium.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Hmm, interesting - I sense your grey cells at work with this one Bob .. there is potential in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      There certainly are ideas whirring around in my tired old brain, and they may well come to fruition in the near future.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.