Pages

Thursday 21 July 2022

Not another copy of Waddington’s Campaign!

In 1974, Waddington issued a second edition of CAMPAIGN.

The rules and playing pieces remained the same, but the map/game board was completely redrawn and looked like this:

This newer map seems to have been redesigned to make it look more like an early nineteenth century military map, but to my eyes it seems to have lost something in the process, and I prefer the first edition map, Counting up the number of squares in each country, the newer version of the map also appears to be slightly smaller by one vertical and one horizontal column.

When I saw a second-hand copy of the second edition on sale on eBay for just under £10.00, I could not resist buying it, just for the revised map/game board. There are three playing pieces missing (hence the reduced price) but this doesn’t worry me particularly.

So, in the space of just over a week I’ve gone from not owning a copy of Waddington’s CAMPAIGN to owning two copies.

I have a feeling that only a wargamer will understand this desire to own two copies of this game; my wife thinks I’m mad!


I understand that this game was marketed and sold in some European countries as WATERLOO ... which is interesting as there are no countries or playing pieces for the British or Dutch-Belgians!

8 comments:

  1. Hello there Bob,

    You will not be surprised to learn that I also have a copy of this version or that I agree with you about the map! I believe this version also has a smaller general piece - rather a smaller bicorne than the original version. There is also two shades of green pieces as well.

    All told I have the components from four four copies of the game although only two map boards.

    It was all part of my abandoned Avalon Hill War and Peace map creating exercise long ago!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David Crook,

      So I’m not the only mad wargamer! Mind you, having four sets of playing pieces might be seen as a bit extreme … although repainting a set or two might allow you to field playing pieces to represent the British (red & black) et al.

      In my opinion, the second edition map leaves much to be desired, although I can see why the designer might have thought that it was more in keeping with what they perceived as being a slightly more sophisticated target audience.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. it is not about one or two copies. It is about owning every single edition, from all time, without exception. That is what collections are made of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balagan,

      Very, very true! In comparison to a real collector, I am a mere dilettante.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Hi Bob, I too have a copy of this later edition, acquired in our local Oxfam shop last year. I agree, the earlier version's map looked much nicer. I had the original as a child and loved it, played endlessly ( though possibly not entirely following the rules! ) - most memorably, I seem to remember Spain once conquering the whole of Europe, highly unhistorical! I have no idea why I didn't keep it, but I do still have the original pair of dice, and will absolutely never part with them. I think the first edition also had a booklet explaining the history of the Napoleonic wars, ending with 'I have fought sixty battles, and I have learned nothing'..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David in Suffolk,

      I never thought to look in a charity shop for a copy … but I will now!

      I really shouldn’t be surprised that so many wargamers owned and played CAMPAIGN! As to Spain capturing the rest of Europe … well, they (and their allies) tried plenty of times to do it during the Middle Ages!

      My copy of the game includes the booklet, but I have yet to read it … but I will now.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. A wonderful game. Many, many enjoyable hours spent playing it in the late 70s early 80s and it still resides in my cupboard!
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Fisher,

      I agree about it being a great game … and I hope that my recent blog posts might encourage you to get it out and play it again.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.