Pages

Wednesday 25 September 2013

Django Wexler: Wargamer

I decided to find out a bit more about Django Wexler – the author of THE THOUSAND NAMES – and discovered an interview he had given to SF SIGNAL in June 2013.

It appears that he began playing Warhammer, Warhammer 40K, and Space Marine/Epic before moving on to Privateer Press Warmachine/Hordes. Eventually he took up historical wargaming and that he is a fan of De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA) and De Bellis Multitudinis (DBM). Furthermore he has taken part in a year-long campaign based on Colleen McCullough’s FIRST MAN IN ROME that was run by his friend Jim Naughton.

Django Wexler has also used the Napoleon’s Battles system although he states that he does not own any Napoleonic wargame figures. In the interview he admits that he did not wargame any of the battle scenarios in his novel but that being a wargamer had helped him to set them up and had given him ideas about the kind of decisions a commander has to make.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, Bob. It's your fault that I've ordered this book.

    Feel free to send me a cheque (just kidding about the cheque).


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluebear Jeff,

    The book does seem to be attracting quite a lot of positive attention in the Fantasy/SciFi press, so I am not the only person who is enjoying reading it!

    I hope that you do as well!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must try that novel. Other " outed " famous wargamers I believe include Meatloaf, Vin Diesel and Leonardo Dicrapio

    ReplyDelete
  4. Majormike,

    There are a lot of people who are - or who have been - wargamers ... but who tend to keep it quiet in case it affects their 'image'.

    It never affected mine ... but then again, I don't have one to worry about!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, I've barely started "The Thousand Names" and I'm already seriously hooked.

    Thank you very much for bringing it to my attention.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bluebear Jeff,

    I wonder how much being a wargamer made it possible for Django Wexler to describe the fighting that happens in this book. To me it reads like the narrative of a wargame campaign.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.