Pages

Sunday 25 July 2010

After all these years ...

For anyone with even a passing interest in the Chaco War – and I certainly have that! – David Zook's THE CONDUCT OF THE CHACO WAR is the book you simply must read. For years I have been trying to get hold of a copy of my own ... and now I have one, courtesy of the Internet!

I found my copy via Amazon, ordered it, and it was delivered whilst I was in Norway. As the book has been out of print for many years, the copy I bought was second-hand, having originally been gifted in 1973 to Seminole Library, Seminole, Florida. It has 'Withdrawn' stamped inside the front cover, and they must have sold it on to the bookseller from whom I bought it.

I have yet to begin reading this book. Having looked for a copy for so long, I don't want to rush the process; I want to savour and enjoy it.

Oh, and if you are wondering what will happen once I have read it ... well, I was recently asked if I might write a short book about the Chaco War, and now that I have added this book to my resources, I don't think that I can refused.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Keen on the Chaco War myself with my friend and miniature designer Michael Broadbent.

    Have just ordered this book for a good price. Have you had time to read this book yourself?

    I'm considering Flames of War rule set and request any unit suggestions if you have any thoughts on this.

    I'm looking at 15 mm miniatures using the new Khursan miniatures.

    Thank you,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tank Girl (Helen),

    I have read this book, and although it is not an easy read, it is well worth persisting with.

    I am not very knowledgeable about the 'Flames of War' rules, but I should imagine that converting them for use with the Chaco War would not be too difficult. The main thing to remember is that units were very small in comparison to their full-strength European equivalents, so you may need to reflect that in you forces.

    If you look at the Megablitz website, you will find some basic ORBATS for the start and end of the Chaco War which might be of help to you.

    The Khursan figures do look very nice, and I am seriously thinking about buying some.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob very much for responding to my query.

    I've seen your work via the link, thank you. Now that I've more into the subject I certainly agree with you on the size of sections/platoons etc.

    I managed to purchase of e-bay the Military Modelling issue containing the article by terry hooker on the Grand Chaco War which has been a bonus. I notice that Adrian English assisted Terry in the article. Some lovely illustrations from Bob Marrion.

    I suggested to Jon Katz of Khurasan Miniatures to include a crew member with binos to fit in with the MMGs or mortars which are forthcoming.

    Michael Broadbent will assist me with a few miniatures that he will make for my collection.

    I'm working on a platoon per side based on my FOW and show this as a guide for anyone wishing to venture into the conflict.

    Thanks again for all your work over the years for the hobby.

    Cheers,


    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tank Girl (Hellen),

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Good luck with your Chaco War project. It sounds like you have the makings of a really great wargame.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.