Pages

Tuesday 27 July 2010

Heroscape and Morschauser's 'Frontier' wargames rules

As reasonably regular readers of this blog will know, I own quite a large collection of Heroscape terrain. I bought more than ten RISE OF THE VALKYRIE Heroscape Master sets some time ago when they were being sold off cheaply here in the UK, and since then I have developed several sets of rules that used the hexed terrain that forms the major part of the Master set. I have also painted and flocked a couple of the terrain sets to 'improve' the way that they look.

Last night, as I was dozing off to sleep, I was struck by the thought that with a few minor changes to the Artillery Rules I could adapt Joseph Morschauser's 'Frontier' wargames rules so that I could use them with my Heroscape terrain. When I woke up this morning I had a working solution in my head and sat down to set it down on paper.

The solution is as follows:
  • After nominating the target hex the artillery is firing at, throw a D6 die.
  • If the score is 5 or 6, any Unit in the target hex is hit and further D6 die is thrown to adjudge the effect:
      Direct artillery fire:
      4 or 6: Destroys a Command stand.
      2, 4, or 6: Destroys any other stand.
      Indirect artillery fire:
      6: Destroys a Command stand.
      4 or 6: Destroys any other stand.
  • If the score is 1, 2, 3, or 4, a further D6 die is thrown to see which hex the artillery fire lands in.
  • If there is a Unit in the hex that the artillery fire lands in that Unit is hit, and the procedure laid down above for adjudging the effect is used.
I hope to try this out mechanism later today ... but first I have to take my wife to the dentist for some emergency treatment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.