Pages

Wednesday 19 February 2014

An army (or two) in a box

Now that I have sorted out my toy/wargames room so that I can find things – for a change – I have begun the process of rearranging my various figure collections into the REALLY USEFUL BOXES they are going to be stored in.

I started with my 15mm-scale individually-based Colonial figures, and the first army that I dealt with was my Fezians.


As you can see, a whole army (in this case 56 Infantry, 14 Gunners, 6 Sailors, and 2 Generals/Commanders) easily fitted into a single 'hobby tray'. This is a large enough army for most the battles featuring the Fezians that I will fight ... and I still have enough room for another tray to fit into the box.

This set me thinking. If I can plan my future wargames armies so that they can fit into one or two of the 'hobby trays' produced by REALLY USEFUL BOXES, I will be setting myself achievable and sensible limits on the size and number of armies in my collections.

I have now rearranged more of my figures into ‘hobby trays’, including my 15mm-scale multi-figure-based Colonial figures, …


… my 20mm-scale individually-based Eastern Front figures. …


… and my 25/28mm-scale multi-figure-based Napoleonic figures.


I still have plenty of unbased 25/28mm-scale Napoleonic figures, and I am giving thought to whether I should rebased – and reorganise – the complete collection so that it will fit into a number of ‘hobby trays’ and REALLY USEFUL BOXES.

I have yet to sort out my Peter Laing 15mm-scale figures ... but that is going to take me quite some time. The one collection that I am not going to move into REALLY USEFUL BOXES as yet are my 20mm-scale MEGABLITZ Russian and German armies, but I may do so eventually.

6 comments:

  1. A noble endeavour Bob and I fear a never ending one. I recently finished an organisation of my War Room and I suspect its nothing more than a temporary lull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    You are - of course - correct. Any wargamer's collection is a dynamic entity, and will only stop growing when they stop wargaming. I suspect that a tidy toy/wargames room only stays like that until the next wargame project starts!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Hobby trays look very useful; I've not come across those, before. Must buy some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simon Miller,

    I bought most of mine in a branch of 'The Range'. ... but they had none the last time I was there. They are also sold by Staples ... but are more expensive.

    If you are buying in bulk, REALLY USEFUL BOXES will supply them direct. Just visit their website for further information.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought 33 of the 8.1L Really Useful Boxes direct a couple of years ago, and they have been great. The only problem is that I need another 33 now, and although reasonable, they do add up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonsalvo,

    I started off with a couple of 4 litre boxes ... and now I daren't count how many REALLY USEFUL BOXES of different sizes that I own. (It is probably less than 100 ... but not very many less!)

    I bought most of mine in batches of four or five as and when I saw them. That way the 'collection' grew slowly and the cost did not seem to be too great,

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.