Pages

Wednesday 12 February 2014

Stage three is complete ... and the spring clean is almost over!

I have just finished the third stage of the spring clean of my toy/wargames room ... and the process is almost complete. All that remains for me to do is to label the draws on the units under the stack of REALLY USEFUL BOXES and then to label the boxes themselves.

The room now looks like this:




For the first time in as long as I can remember, things that are used together are stored together ... which is a great advance for me!

The table (it is actually two tables pushed together) is currently set up to be 4 foot x 3 foot, but as each of the two tabletops is folded over I can set them up to provide a 6 foot x 4 foot playing area ... and still have just enough room to walk around it. That said, I can only remember using the tables in the larger configuration once since I bought them. As I have seen a gate leg table on sale that will give me a 4 foot x 3 foot tabletop and that also has storage space for the spare chairs when they are not needed, I am wondering if something like that may well be a better table for my future wargaming needs.

It is certainly something for me to think about over the next few weeks.

6 comments:

  1. That looks frighteningly tidy - even by your standards! Quick, create some mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim Gow,

    Frighteningly tidy it might be ... but I can now find things much faster than I ever could before.

    The room will get untidy again ... and then I will have to have another spring clean!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a small world, Bob, with coincidences everywhere. Only today I relieved Staples of an armful of Really Useful Boxes, tidied my boxes of basing materials up, and used sticky dot labels to label my paint jars.

    That looks very organised; I take it you're lucky enough to have this as a dedicated gaming area?

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colonel Scipio (Ed),

    Almost every wargamer I know seems to have at least one item from the REALLY USEFUL BOXES range. They are exactly what they say they are!

    When I retired from full-time teaching in 2001 my wife and I had a loft conversion done on our house ... and I ended up with a dedicated toy/wargames room.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob,
    You are very fortunate - the loft conversion (by previous owners) in our house is a guest room, although some of my stuff lurks within the eaves cupboards.

    We have a gateleg table similar to the one you describe, which was bought as our first dining table over twenty years ago. It was a very good investment, and I would recommend you to get one too!

    Regards,

    Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arthur1815,

    Luckily I was able to have our loft conversion done the way I wanted it, which is why I ended up with a toy/wargames room.

    I did consider buying a gateleg table when I originally set up the room, but none of them was big enough. (I had visions of games being played out on a 6' x 4' table most of the time.)

    As my wargaming has become more 'concentrated', I have now realised that I can fight lots more battles on a 4' x 3' space (or even smaller) than I ever could or would have done on the larger table set up ... hence the decision to eventually move to a gate leg table.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.