Pages

Sunday 17 December 2023

Other people's Portable Wargame battle reports: A bit of a catch-up (1)

My recent brush with COVID gave me the opportunity to catch up with reading some of the many battle reports on FaceBook.

The first I would like to mention is Mark Cordone’s recent Battle of Burney. This was a fictional Franco-Prussian war battle which he fought using his 'Musket and Saber' variant of the PORTABLE NAPOLEONIC WARGAME rules.

The battle is set during the Autumn of 1870, and took place in Alsace. The French Army of Alsace – commanded by Marshal McMahan – encountered the Prussian 1st Army commanded by General Steinmetz. The latter was deployed around the town of Burney.

The Prussians troops were all regular and armed with breechloading rifles and artillery. Steinmetz had deployed (from left to right) the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, and the 4th Corps (the 3rd Corps being placed in the town of Burney), whilst his cavalry division was in reserve. His artillery was deployed on the heights overlooking the town. His orders were to hold the town at all costs.

The majority of Marshal McMahan's troops were regulars, the exception being the 1st National Guard Corps. He deployed his 1st Corps on the left, then his artillery, then the 2nd Corps, and finally the 3rd Corps in the town of Colombey. His cavalry was left in reserve, and the 1st National Guard Corps was deployed on the right on the other side of the woods with orders to flank the Prussian position.

The weather was fine, and the streams were fordable along their entire lengths.

As can be seen from the following photographs, the French advanced and engaged the Prussians.

The Prussian 1st Corps was forced back, and their cavalry reserve was unable to stop the French National Guard Corps from outflanking the Prussian position.

By noon the Prussian had been forced out of Burney and all their units had suffered casualties, including the destruction of the Prussian 3rd Corps.

The French had won a signal victory and shown that the Prussian were not invincible.

At a time when my spirits need lifting, this battle report did exactly that. It is a fine example of the PORTABLE WARGAME at its best, and I look forward to reading many more such battle reports.


Please note that all the photographs used above are © Mark Cordone.

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed the battle report. I'm currently working on medieval additions of this varaint to go with my medieval army in a box project. I will post them with the hope that people will enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Your battle report really hit the spot … and I look forward to reading your next one soon.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. This is a fine little system - one in which you could fight a campaign in a couple of hours, tops. Having sketched down the maps somewhere, I'm looking at an American Civil War campaign on my chess board. I'll have to go back and check out Mark's rule set, though...

    Watch out for my 'Portable Gettysburg' some time, I hope soon. The map and OOBs are done, just needs to get onto my hex-table.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      This has given me a lot to think about, and I’ll be writing more on due course.

      I am looking forward to reading more about your ‘Portable Gettysburg’ battle.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this game Bob - I like the Map-like game board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      The map boards give the whole thing a kriegsspiel-like appearance that I find very attractive.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.