Pages

Friday 22 December 2023

The MF&FMLR model railway project: Making the marsh (Part 2)

Once the muddy part of the marsh was done, I began to look at ways in which to replicate the vegetation found in a marsh. In the end I decided to experiment with a method based on one that I had seen for modelling hedges. The main components were:

  • Pan scourers.
  • Various acrylic paints.
  • PVA glue.
  • An old (i.e. disposable if necessary) soft paintbrush.
  • An assortment of different green and brown scatter material.
  • A jar of warm water.
  • A bowl of warm water.

Other than the green pan scourers – which were bought as a pack of five from a local supermarket – I had everything that I needed to hand.

Before I outline the method than I used, I need to issue a warning to anyone contemplating copying it: it is very messy and should only be done on a surface that has been properly covered in old newspapers or a waterproof sheet. I also advise that a large roll of kitchen towel be kept close to hand to mop up any overspills and to dry one's hands one.

  • First, I took a green pan scourer and randomly dropped dollops of green and brown acrylic paint over its surface. (I used Oxide Chromium Green, Viridian, Sap Green, and Burnt Sienna acrylic paints previously bought from craft shops.)

  • I then used the brush to work the paint into the surface of the scourer until the whole surface was covered. Dipping the brush into the jar of water helped this process.
  • The scourer was then scrunched up into a ball as tightly as possible. (Warning: If you attempt to duplicate this method, wet and runny paint will ooze out and drip as you do this and will cover your hands ... so be careful!)
  • Once I was satisfied that the paint has well and truly been forced into the scourer, I rinsed it out in the bowl of clean water, and squeeze-dried by hand. I then placed it to one side on something absorbent (and disposable, such as a number of layers of kitchen towel) and allowed it to dry.

  • Once this has been done, I cleaned up the area I had used very thoroughly to ensure that domestic calm was maintained!!!

Before gluing pieces of my home-made foliage in place on the board, I cut one of the three pan scourers I had prepared into small, randomly-shaped pieces, which I placed at various locations around and in the marsh.

Until this point, I felt that everything was going well ... and then I realised that my experiment was actually not going to work! The result did not just look bad; IT LOOKED AWFUL!

Back to the drawing board! 

20 comments:

  1. The third photo looks pretty good to my eyes but maybe more for moorland than a marsh, interested to see how you tackle this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Noe that’s a great ideal! They’d make excellent dense moorland! Thanks very much for your suggestion.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Awful? We don't disagree much but this is one of those times. Had you cropped the picture of the results I'd swear it was a screenshot from Google maps or an aerial photo.
    But it's your project, so good luck in your next attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      The photo made it look better than is was. Anyway, I’ve found a better method which I will share with my regular blog readers in due course.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Looking good. I'm looking forward to seeing the complete layout. This brings back memories of my childhood, my dad had an HO layout in the basement which got taken over for wargames with my Airfix World War two soldiers. It was great fun! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I’m hoping to get it finished by the end of January. As to having a model railway layout that’s used for wargaming … well, that’s something I’m giving serious thought to.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. At least the experiment was successfully cleaned up with no unexpected stains left behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter,

      We learn from our mistakes, and I certainly learned a lot from this one!

      As to the subsequent clean up … less said, soonest mended!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. At first I thought "What the" ... but now I see ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      At one point I did ask myself what I thought that I was doing … but then I realised and changed tack.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Funny as the photo looks promising .. might you I may be thinking Sci-Fi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      It might well be suitable for Sci-Fi, but it didn’t look like the effect I was trying to achieve.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      I was once told that someone who never made a mistake was someone who had probably learned very little.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Bob,
    I'd be tempted to use clumps of Linchen. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I’ve never had much luck with lichen. I once had a batch that went mouldy and that rather put me off using it again.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Bob, a fun experiment…and may I say it’s very commendable that you posted a report on the attempt which DIDN’T work 👍🏼. Many blogs only show the success stories, perpetuating the myth that all is perfect out there in the big, wide world. Max kudos to you, sir 🙂👍🏼.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin S.,

      If my mistake helps to stop someone else from doing the same, then my experiment was worth it. I agree that giving the impression that I don’t ever do something wrong is in itself wrong … and I like my regular blog readers to know that they can trust me to tell the truth on my blog.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  10. Hi Bob, I'd suggest including some areas of water - paint the area a muddy green-brown and gloss varnish. For the standing vegetation I'd rescue your scourer and rip it up into ragged sections and glue over most of the area. Varying the height but snipping with scissors could also help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Cameron,

      Thanks for the suggestion. I have - in fact - found an alternative method that works better for me, and I’ll be writing about it after Christmas.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.