Pages

Monday 4 December 2023

One more step on the road to a full recovery ... I hope!

This afternoon I will be attending my first Masonic meeting since the end of my radiotherapy. It will mean driving from my home to Cheshunt in Hertfordshire and back and will be the longest distance I will have driven in one day since the middle of August. As such, this will be a major test of my confidence that my mind and body can cope with the demands of driving on some of the busiest roads in the UK at peak times. Until now, most of my recent driving has been over short distances with plenty of opportunities to stop and have a break if I need to, but once I'm on the M11 and M25, I'm going to have to keep going, regardless.

The meeting I am attending is one of the regular ones held by my Mother Lodge, The Grove Park Lodge No.2732. On the face of it, it will be a normal business meeting, with a couple of ceremonies (one long and one short) taking place. I will have a minor part to play in the longer of the two, but other than that, I'll be able to sit back and just enjoy being back in the Temple with my Masonic Brethren.

The crest of The Grove Park Lodge No.2732.

What marks this out as an unusual meeting is the fact that our oldest member will be marking his sixtieth year in the Lodge and in The Craft ... and that he has never, ever missed a meeting in all of those sixty years! This is something of a record (I've never heard of another Brother ever managing this feat) and is one reason why I want to be there to offer my personal congratulations.

16 comments:

  1. Great to hear you feel up to getting out and about again Bob and fingers crossed the traffic is kind to you for your journey! Enjoy your trip to see your fellow Brothers and hope you have a wonderful time:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! I’ve been getting out and about bit since my radiotherapy ended, but this will be the first time I’ve travelled some distance from home. It’ll be a test … but I’m hoping that it will help to continue my recovery.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Maudlin Jack Tar,

      Cheers! Thanks for your best wishes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. I hope all goes well. It sounds like a good-for-the-soul thing, but can't help but think that having a co-driver for the trip would be a "good thing", just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross Mac,

      I’ve had to miss three major meetings since July, and getting back into the swing of going to regular meetings will significantly boost my morale.

      Unfortunately, I’m going to have to make this journey solo as Sue isn’t allowed to attend the meeting and the after-meeting meal. We did discuss her coming with me and me missing the meal, but in the end we decided that it would be best for me to see if I can manage on my own.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. A milestone! Best of luck on your recovery, it's good to see you able to return to your pre therapy activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      I came home feeling very tired … but it was worth making the effort!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. At least it’s a Monday Bob. I’m sure you’ll be fine.
    I suspect late Friday afternoon in the run up to Christmas might be even busier on the roads.
    Cheers,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elliesdad (Geoff),

      It might have been Monday, but the roads were like a racetrack at times! I suspect that you are right about it getting worse the closer we get to Christmas, but at least I now feel more able to cope if I need to.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. I'm glad to see you're getting back on your feet Bob. Your latest games and projects have been coming along nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Pavone,

      Cheers! I’m getting better, just not as quickly as I had hoped that I would.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ray Rousell,

      Cheers! I’m getting there … just a bit slower than I had hoped.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Fitz-Badger,

      It certainly was a milestone … but I managed to pass it!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.