Pages

Thursday 28 December 2023

The MF&FMLR model railway project: Making the marsh (Part 3)

Suitably chastened by my experiment, I decided to revert to a more conventional approach ... the use of flock and PVA glue.

Firstly, I carefully applied PVA glue in and around the area covered by the marsh and sprinkled a layer of green flock (K&M Trees No.1 Grass Green) over it. I then let that thoroughly dry before using a desk vacuum cleaner to remove the excess flock.

I did this twice in order to get as thick and regular a coverage as was possible.

I then applied some more PVA glue to any gaps or areas where the initial flocking was rather thin and sprinkled some darker flock (K&M Trees No.7 Dark Green) over it. Once that was dry and the excess flock had been removed, I repeated this process, this time using a lighter flock, K&M Trees No.3 Light Olive flock.

By this time my marsh was beginning to look much more as I had wanted it to look, but the vegetation seemed to be a bit flat, and I decided to take a gamble and add some green clump foliage that was home-made from plastic foam.

This was made by soaking a couple of small pieces of plastic foam (mine were taken from the back of a pan cleaner) in a mixture of dark green and black acrylic craft paint and water in an old jam jar overnight. The excess fluid was drained off, and the foam was squeezed to remove any that remained.

Caution: This was extremely messy and was carried out over a bowl that could be washed out afterwards. Keep plenty of paper kitchen towel at hand to wipe off your hands as it is very easy to transfer the paint to everything around you!

The damp plastic foam was then placed on a small tray covered with a thick layer of kitchen paper and allowed to dry overnight. I carefully placed my tray near a radiator to help speed the process. Once the foam was dry, I tore it into smaller lumps which I then placed in a very cheap coffee grinder that I had bought for this purpose. Once it was turned on, the blades in the coffee grinder quickly chewed the plastic foam up into small pieces, which I tipped into a small plastic bag. I then very carefully cleaned the coffee grinder to remove any traces of the green foam!

The green plastic foam was glued in place using PVA glue. I used an old syringe to make sure that the PVA was placed very precisely and the small pieces of the foam were applied to the blobs of PVA. I then allowed several hours to pass to ensure that the PVA was properly dry before removing any excess pieces of foam.

To make sure that the foam remained in place, I dripped a mixture of 50% PVA and 50% water (with a tiny drop of washing up liquid added to it) on every clump of foam. I used my trusty syringe to do this. This had the effect of both reducing the chance that the foam would 'shed' during use and hardening the foam.

I’m now satisfied that the marsh is now finished, and I can move on to the next stage of building my layout.

20 comments:

  1. Well it looks very good to me and well worth all the effort Bob:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      Cheers! I’m rather please with the way it turned out although I might add some gloss varnish to the wet areas.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Nice tutorial and your marsh has come out really well, looks the part and will be a great addition to your layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donnie McGibbon,

      Cheers! I’m very pleased that you found this blog post helpful. I might add some gloss varnish to the wet areas at a later date..

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      Cheers! I’m rather please with the end result.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Your marsh is looking good Bob.
    Hope you had a restful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nundanket,

      Cheers! I am happy with the way it turned out. As to Christmas … well we had a great time and I hope that you did as well.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Bob -
    I was thinking 'reeds' but your swamp looks swampishly swampy without them!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I looked at this particular marsh and it didn’t seem to have any reed beds. I think that this is due to it being partially saltmarsh. Perhaps I might include some reeds in future swamps/marshes.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Mark Cordone,

      Cheers! I might add some gloss varnish to the very wet areas of the marsh as photos do show some areas of standing and tidal water.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  7. BOB,
    Nice work there on the model Marsh- well thought out indeed and with great results. Looking forward to your further progress on the Layout. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      Cheers! I might add some varnish to the wetter areas of the marsh to give the impression of standing water.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  8. Bob,
    A suitably boggy looking marsh. I'd be tempted to add a small vignette of some unwary traveller - a keen ornithologist? - up to his chest in the swamp being assisted by a couple of workmen - or a mastiff covered in luminous paint (the Fobbing Fiend of local legend?) being pursued by Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson.
    Best wishes for New Year, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur1815 (Arthur),

      I like the ideas of the vignettes, especially the second one, although I’d have to include Inspector Lestrade … possibly as the person who has fallen in!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exile FoG,

      Cheers! This project is giving me lots of opportunity to try out modelling techniques I’ve not previously used.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.