Pages

Saturday 16 December 2023

The MF&FMLR model railway project: A bit of a problem

Everything was bimbling along nicely with this project … until I tried to paint the baseboard!

I decided to paint my model railway layout’s baseboard using some burnt umber acrylic craft paint from THE WORKS. Everything was going reasonably well until I was about halfway down the tube of paint, at which point its consistency seemed to change and it became like trying to paint with thick gloop. I tried dipping my brush in water in the hope that this would thin the gloop, and it helped a bit. However, the end result didn’t look very good …

… and I’ll have to overpaint the burnt umber with a lighter colour before I can move on to the next stage of this project.

10 comments:

  1. On the other hand, you could always say you did it that way to get a natural variation in the ground colour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joppy,

      I could … but it actually looks worse in real life than it does in the photos. However, it has sealed the surface of the layout’s tabletop quite nicely.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. For large areas like this, I'd be inclined to use household emulsion test pots: the consistency is the same until the end.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil Patterson (Neil),

      That’s exactly what I have opted for … as my next blog post about this project will reveal.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Quantrilltoy,

      Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll probably just overpaint it with a lighter brown emulsion paint.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. BOB,
    Thought you'd paint the ground Green- perhaps dry brush over the Brown with Green may be an improvement- ? Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      That was an option that I considered, but I prefer a shade of brown to represent the soil over which various flocks will be spread.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Always a pain when the kit lets you down, Bob. Glad you’ve come up with a solution, though (…and looking forward to hearing which matchpot colour was your choice. I struggle to ‘see’ what they’ll look like when in use, compared to the colour chart image).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin S.,

      It looked alright when I painted the baseboard … but then it dried and turned out to be too dark. I chose a shade of beige to overpaint it. It looked suitably ‘dry earth’ in colour.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.