Pages

Saturday 30 December 2023

What could I do with the other half of the pasting table?

When I decided to use half of a pasting board as the baseboard for my model railway, I put the leftover half to one side. As I’m not currently planning to make another model railway layout in the near future and I don’t like things to go to waste, I’ve been thinking about what to do with it.

The obvious thing would be to turn it into some sort of PORTABLE WARGAME board … but its dimensions (22” x 35”) don’t obviously lend themselves to being divided up into a square or hex grid. However, if the dimensions are converted into metric units, the board measures 55.88cm x 88.9cm. If these are rounded down, they become 55cm x 88cm. I could therefore mark the board using 11cm or 5.5cm squares, which would produce – respectively – a 5 x 8 ...

... or a 10 x 16 square grid.

The latter is not too unlike the 12 x 20 square grid I’ve used for my recent SHAMBATTLE map/battlefields, so perhaps I should consider turning the spare half of the pasting table into my own . It’s certainly something I’m going to give serious thought to doing.

4 comments:

  1. Bob -
    That reminds me! I have an interesting piece of carpet I picked up off the street a few years ago. Coloured a sort of 'sea green', I trimmed thing off to 28"x70" (72cm x 180cm). It's lying on my bedroom floor (goes fairly well with the walls) as the most convenient (least inconvenient) storage location.

    Staring to dilate upon this, I realised I was writing an article for my own blog spot. So I'll just say here - the sort of decision you have to make is one of the pleasanter sort...
    Cheers, and best wishes for the New Year,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      I have a similar-sized piece of green outdoor carpet that I ‘acquired’ as I thought I might find a wargaming use for it.

      I am giving serious thought to using the spare part of the pasting table to make a permanent ShamBattle ‘country’, especially that I’ve now read the entire book. In the Captain’s Game it encourages players to create their own ‘countries’ as part of their ‘training’.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. While you mentioned below that these recent posts were pre-written, I take it and hope that the fact that you are posting them means that you are well over the worst of your recent covid?
    All the best, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James Fisher,

      Thank you for asking. I recovered from COVID just in time to go away on a cruise for Christmas, and I will be blogging about that in due course.

      I had some of my recent blog posts written and scheduled for publication before I went and others drafted. I was able to complete the latter whilst aboard ship and publish them all whilst I was away.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.