Pages

Sunday 3 December 2023

The MF&FMLR model railway project: The next stage in building the terrain.

The next step in building the terrain was to blend the edges of the cut foamcore using a cheap pot of ready-mixed household filler. It was applied using a small spatula and the tip on my index finger. Before it had dried, a lightly dampened sponge was then wiped over it to smooth the filler.

The area around one of the marshy areas before ...
... and after the the filler had been applied.

Once the filler had dried, I sealed the surface of the baseboard using PVA glue to glue sheets of cheap blue kitchen towel over the top and sides of the baseboard.

(The cheap blue kitchen towel turned out to be a bit too thin and kept tearing as I glued it in place. Once it had dried, I applied second layer of thicker, white kitchen towel. This was then overpainted with a mixture of diluted PVA and filler. The end result was a much better and more substantial finish.)

Once the PVA and kitchen towel had dried, this stage of the terrain construction was complete.

8 comments:

  1. BOB,
    Good to see your cracking on with progress on your Model Railway. I assume that you'll be doing an OO9 layout- Narrow Gauge. Summer here now...had a bad fall this morning at the back steps- my right knee has been in pain these past twelve hours....and it is the reason I haven't answered my Blog- as I do not feel well enough or relaxed enough...once again thank you for your comments on the Doctor WHO Cybermen- always appreciate your input. Best Wishes. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kev Robertson (Kev),

      I was sorry to read about your fall. I fell over in our garden nearly three months ago (just after my radiotherapy had started) and damaged both knees) and I’m still have ligament problems with one knee joint so I can understand how much pain you must be in and how much inconvenience you’re having to deal with. I hope that you recover quicker than I am!

      As to my 009 narrow-gauge railway … well, work on the baseboard is progressing nicely and I’ve ordered some more points/turnouts and a special track pack so that I can add some sidings. I hope to write a blog post about it soon.

      One of the joys of Kato Unitrack is that you can set up the track and test the various layout options in a matter of minutes.

      One thing the I have discovered is that my 0-4-0 locomotives (which have current pickups on their wheels) don’t like going over points/turnouts as their wheelbase is too short to get from one bit of electrified track to another. The isolator between the track sections is longer than their wheelbase, and this causes them to stall. They’ll do it at high speed as their momentum will just about carry them over, but won’t do it at half-speed or less. It’s something I’ll have to sort out. In the meantime, my 0-6-0 and 0-6-2 locos have no problem with the points/turnouts although the latter don’t like the tight curves I’m using.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. Great progress with the baseboard, I like the idea of the "scenario" for your layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Good Soldier Svjek,

      Cheers! Like many of my wargame campaigns, getting a backstory that feels right helps me to successfully develop a project.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  3. Looking good Bob and await another update as and when:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve J.,

      I'm at the stage where I want to firm up the track layout before I begin painting the baseboard.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      It is ... and one I hope to resume work on soon!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.