Pages

Friday 15 December 2023

Phil Sabin’s version of Napoleon at Waterloo

I have known Professor Phil Sabin for many years, and even though he is now living in South America, we still keep in touch.

Our most recent contact came as I was coming down with COVID and it was over a week before I was able to watch his most recent YouTube video. This outlines the interesting changes that he has made to James Dunnigan's classic NAPOLEON AT WATERLOO game. His modifications are outlined in some detail, and coming at a time when Ridley Scott’s film about Napoleon has been released and Professor Charles Esdaile has published his excellent book about wargaming Waterloo, I can foresee them being used by a large number of wargamers.

Phil’s video includes a complete visual record of a recreation of the Battle of Waterloo he fought using his tweaked version of the rules and collection of painted Airfix 20mm Napoleonic figures. The latter are mounted on hexagonal bases that fit very nicely onto Phil’s hexed 2m x 2m tabletop.

The blow-by-blow account of Phil’s wargame helps to explain how the rules work and the decisions made by both commanders. This is very helpful to someone like me who has never used Dunnigan’s original game or Phil’s earlier tweaks.

The following stills from Phil's video give a flavour of its contents.


Phil's blog is a cornucopia of useful game designs and is well worth adding to one's list of favourite blogs/websites.

10 comments:

  1. One of the things I like about the gaming blogosphere is that it exposes me to other things to read, whether that be new books or new blogs. Thank you, I will check all of these out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,

      I’m pleased to have helped you find something new to read and enjoy … and possibly even use.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  2. I concur, Bob -
    Methinks I might be forced to look into Professor Sabin's blog. His Waterloo set-up reminded me vividly of my own from a couple of years back. Incidentally, his 'points of a triangle' grid system is probably an even easier method of drawing up a hex-grid than my own
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archduke Piccolo (Ion),

      Sorry for the belated reply, but I somehow missed your comment until today.

      His grid system has great merit. Mind you, you’d expect nothing less from someone who taught wargaming until relatively recently and has designed so many successful - but not always well-known - wargames.

      All the best,

      Bob.

      Delete
  3. That was very interesting. Very nicely painted and based figures. (Small note - Most of these appear to be Esci rather than Airfix.)
    Perhaps we should consider playing a revised version of Waterloo based on Ridely Scott's depiction of it in "Napoleon" Or would that be delving into the realm of fantasy - like much of that film? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red_Cardinal,

      Cheers! I was told they were Airfix figures by Phil Sabin but I suspect that you might well be right about some of them being from other manufacturers.

      I have yet to watch Mr Scott’s film, but from what I’ve heard from those who have, its battle scenes are somewhat fantastic.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  4. The thought of getting 450 painted Airfix miniatures doing "the Waterloo thing" on table top - did it for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      Something that you can emulate? I suspect so!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
  5. Pretty Cool
    I have a box of Airfix Napoleonic Types looking at me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

      And are they asking to be used? I suspect that they are!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.