Pages

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Modified 'Battle Cry' play-test - scenario

After what seemed like a very long day at work, I got home feeling tired ... but I was determined to set up the scenario that I am going to use for the play-test of my modified version of Richard Borg's BATTLE CRY wargames rules.

I decide to use the attack on Fort Wagner as the basis for the scenario I will use, but as the BATTLE CRY board does not have any beach areas on it, I used the MEMOIR '44 board instead.

As the photograph shows, the Union troops will advance along the beach with the sea on their left flank and impassable swamps on their right. The Confederate defenders are set up on a raised berm behind a wet moat that has a barrier of earthworks in front of it.

The Union attackers have six Infantry unit, and the Confederate defenders have three Artillery units and one Infantry unit. The Union troops will move first each turn, and will be able to exchange a figure for any 'flags' thrown by the Confederates.

6 comments:

  1. How are you handling retreats? Will the Federals retreat towards their starting point?

    I do not forsee this going well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    The retreats (i.e. the 'flags') will be exchanged for figures.

    I expect it not to go very well; the original attack didn't! In fact, I will be surprised if any of the first line of attacking Union Infantry units makes it as far as the earthworks.

    I am looking forward to seeing how it works.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! Tough assignment, especially for a test but a surprisingly attractive over all look to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puts me in mind of the end of the film 'Glory' which I imagine you've seen if you're playing out the climactic fight!

    I quite like the Memoir '44/Battle Cry/C&C:A system, and had pondered how to adapt it to different periods myself. I'm finding the articles very interesting!

    All the ebst,
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ross Mac,

    It is a tough test ... but it should give me the opportunity to see if some of the modifications I have made work.

    I must admit that once it was set up, the layout looked better than I expected ... and was very quick and easy to do.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. CWT,

    It was 'Glory' that gave me the idea for the scenario. I wanted to see the effect of allowing Infantry to move two hexes per move if they did not fire and what would happen if they were up against Artillery that was behind some form of fixed defences.

    The movement and combat resolution systems from 'Battle Cry' and 'Memoir '44' have a high degree of adaptability, so my advice to you is to have a go at adapting it to suit your particular needs; I think that you will find the process quite interesting ... I have, as my blog entries probably show!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.