Pages

Saturday 11 September 2010

Tonight I was a scoundrel

It is recorded, by his biographer James Boswell, that on 7th April 1775, Doctor Samuel Johnson stated that:
'Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.'
If that is true, then tonight I was a scoundrel!

Tonight was 'The Last Night of The Proms', and whenever possible I watch the finale as I like to sing along with 'Rule Britannia', 'Jerusalem', 'Land of Hope and Glory' ... and 'The National Anthem'. It reminds me that I am English and British, and it fills me with patriotic pride. I know that no country is perfect, but I feel proud to be what I am.

Does that make me a scoundrel? I hope not ... but if I am, then I am happy to be one ... if only for an hour or so.

PS. I actually think that Doctor Johnson was actually railing against false patriotism rather than true patriotism when he made his much quoted remark. James Boswell says so ... and he was there at the time.

2 comments:

  1. Taking your pleasures apologetically, Bob, as is the way of your people. Tsk tsk.

    One of these days I hope you'll revert to your old piratical ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conrad Kinch,

    Too many years of schooling have made me want to say 'Sorry', even for things that I don't need to appologise for!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.